Franklin’s BBQ

Meh....I'm sure Franklin's is awesome but the hype around it kind of turns me off. I wouldn't wait in the line or overpay to order it online. I've watched some youtube videos where it was pointed out if you are in Austin you can call ahead and go pick it up? If that's an option I would definitely try that. I prefer finding the hidden secrets rather than the tourist spots myself. I did go to Lewis BBQ in Charleston several years ago and the guy used to work for Franklin. it was fantastic so i'm sure Franklin's is great just don't like the hype.

Meh....I'm sure Franklin's is awesome but the hype around it kind of turns me off. I wouldn't wait in the line or overpay to order it online. I've watched some youtube videos where it was pointed out if you are in Austin you can call ahead and go pick it up? If that's an option I would definitely try that. I prefer finding the hidden secrets rather than the tourist spots myself. I did go to Lewis BBQ in Charleston several years ago and the guy used to work for Franklin. it was fantastic so i'm sure Franklin's is great just don't like the hype.

Yes you can pre order and skip the line, but the line isn't all that bad. It's a big tailgate type atmosphere and the time flies by. Hell I still talk to a handful of folks I met in line last October.

I ordered some pastrami and sides from Katz's Deli in NYC. They've been shipping direct to help keep the business running this year. I will say the quality wasn't quite the same as having it sliced for you fresh in the restaurant. However, I don't regret it at all. I was able to enjoy memories from past trips, and was able to support a business that I hope to visit again.

Yes, cheaper than a trip to Austin but nothing like the real thing. Line is half the farking fun. What's better than starting to drink cold beers from like 8am and chat with bbq people for a few hours.

qWOemQsl.jpg

RBS94pEl.jpg

You may even get lucky and get the burnt ends while in line

EEZHwmtl.jpg

Maybe even check out the pit room

VTIU9e8l.jpg

Hell, maybe even bs with the man himself

c3Cu65Wl.jpg

Yes, cheaper than a trip to Austin but nothing like the real thing. Line is half the farking fun. What's better than starting to drink cold beers from like 8am and chat with bbq people for a few hours.

Agree 100%. It's worth the trip if you have the time and money to do it.

Yeah and it’s only 5lbs on top of that. [emoji19]

I'm on board with mail ordering SRF, Conecuh, Chicago pizzas, and half a dozen other specialty items I can't get locally. I've routinely broken into the over 250 range for larger orders.

But just 5lbs of brisket for that price doesn't make sense.

I respect what he has done and I know he uses a quality product and ingredients, but come on. It's actually easier for me to blame gold belly markup than him. Even looking at the gold belly ad today will ensure that my computer and phone receive around the clock autogenerated ads for the next 3 weeks.

Agree 100%. It's worth the trip if you have the time and money to do it.

Yup! Plus you get to hang around with the TX brethren. And you get to experience the other fantastic Q joints around.

Stiles Switch, La Barbecue and Micklethwait's on the next run. Was going to hit up Micklethwait's but it was a Monday and was flying out Monday night. Most if not all q joints around Austin area closed Mondays.

Did go to Valentina's and Black's in Lockhart too. Valentina's a must. :nod: Great farking times and loads of fun.

Don't think the mail order q is going to be as good but just a hint. Yes, the hype is real. Franklin is the best brisket I've ever had.

Franklin BBQ is one place I want to go someday and there are a couple more. I am more along the line of thinking as Sako. If I'm gonna do it I gonna do it there. It's the whole experience. For now, I'll use the 250 to fill my freezer with uncooked meat

It was great

I've been a couple of times. Great times tailgating with some of my friends from college that live in Austin. Get there early, bring a cooler and just enjoy yourself. It's a must do.

Attachments

• 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 43
Franklin's was on my bbq bucket list and it was memorable.

Met Sako in Austin last year and it was a blast hanging out in line (lots compare it to a tailgate party) then eating the best brisket and finally meeting and chatting with Aaron makes for a mighty fine day.

Sorry for the sideways pic. On a tablet in the hospital.

Attachments

• IMG_1525.jpg
    IMG_1525.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 41
Back