MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
Evil-g
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Any new spots in LA

Coming back to LA in January and wondering if there are any new Bbq spots to checkout.
Backyard Grill 26 inch
Pit Barrel Cooker
Evil-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 12-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I been wanting to check out this place Gordon

https://www.lowellfarms.com/cafe
Old 12-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

This is the one at the top of my "want to hit" list

https://www.slabbarbecue.com/

The guy built a following with his underground business, but now has gone legit ...

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
Evil-g
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
I been wanting to check out this place Gordon

https://www.lowellfarms.com/cafe
Right up my alley, I’ve been to a couple edible dinners out there, unreal.
Backyard Grill 26 inch
Pit Barrel Cooker
Old 12-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
Evil-g
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
This is the one at the top of my "want to hit" list

https://www.slabbarbecue.com/

The guy built a following with his underground business, but now has gone legit ...
Going to check it out, thanks.
Backyard Grill 26 inch
Pit Barrel Cooker
Old 12-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #6
rickatwoodme
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Smoky Bark~Bark BBQ

Slab for sure; he used to be Trudy's Underground BBQ which was great but maybe before its time. If you are here on a Sunday, Smorgasburg LA (its Sundays at the Row DTLA. https://rowdtla.com - is a must stop. huge food thing. Moos Craft BBQ is the big BBQ guy there (lots of YouTube videos of them... top stuff), but there are a few others including a drum guy doing pastrami thats supposed to be great. Totally not BBQ but amazing is also Burritos La Palma I can personally highly recommend, Zacatecas Birria little burritos that are super famous here.. they have a permanent stand there now to go with their brick and mortar locations. Lastly, in the same complex the Tartine Manufactory is all the buzz. http://la.smorgasburg.com Outside downtown, Maple Block in Culver City is pretty good as well.

CBBQA. KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
IG: @smokybarkbarkbbq

Last edited by rickatwoodme; 12-14-2019 at 03:44 PM..
rickatwoodme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
Evil-g
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickatwoodme View Post
Slab for sure; he used to be Trudy's Underground BBQ which was great but maybe before its time. If you are here on a Sunday, Smorgasburg LA (its Sundays at the Row DTLA. https://rowdtla.com - is a must stop. huge food thing. Moos Craft BBQ is the big BBQ guy there (lots of YouTube videos of them... top stuff), but there are a few others including a drum guy doing pastrami thats supposed to be great. Totally not BBQ but amazing is also Burritos La Palma I can personally highly recommend, Zacatecas Birria little burritos that are super famous here.. they have a permanent stand there now to go with their brick and mortar locations. Lastly, in the same complex the Tartine Manufactory is all the buzz. http://la.smorgasburg.com Outside downtown, Maple Block in Culver City is pretty good as well.
Smorgasburg looks amazing, I want to go there. I’ve heard of the Maple Block. I’ll also stop by Smoque near Anaheim if it’s still open.
Backyard Grill 26 inch
Pit Barrel Cooker
Old 12-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #8
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Holler at me and we'll go to APL!

NAMM time?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:22 AM   #9
Gary Tomato
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for this post and the responses. I’ve just finished my LA visit and was able to visit a couple of the places mentioned. Here’s a few photos of the places I visited and that I can highly recommend; SLAB and Maple Block

SLAB

My meal, brisket (2 slices lean, 1 fatty) and a half rack of spare ribs and a bottle of Big Red.

Maple Block

I got the three meat plate; brisket, turkey and pulled pork;

They also make craft sodas, I got the special of the day, the Apple Cinnamon soda, it was excellent;

I hunted down Smorgasburg to try Moo BBQ but it was shut for holidays, and will reopen next Sunday (1/12/20 ?)

I was very happy with both places I was able to visit. I reckon Slab had the better brisket on the day, but the turkey was outstanding at Maple Block, I really enjoyed the craft soda too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gary Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->