A stupid quick question about a wsm smoke ring?

well do I want to fill the ring to the top? and fill the water pan to the top?

Sorry I know, stupid questions I should know, It changed the kettle to a different configuration!

When I don't know how much to use I'd fill it as much as I can, and if I have extra...so be it.

I would fill the basket to just about full, leaving enough room for 8 to 10 lit briquettes. I would mix the wood into the charcoal too, do not add the wood with the lit coals.

How hot are you going to cook? For 10 hours we usually fill it to the top, water pan full. We cook about 220, we usually have a little lump to spare.

I never use lump in my WSM only K. But it does burn hotter and longer so I would "guess" fill it up about 3/4 full since a full load of K will last me 10+ hrs in mine.

For sure fill the water pan all the way for a 10 hour cook. You probably won't have to add any water for a low temp cook, but having it full will help you hold your temps steady.

I generally use RO Lump and here's what I do for every smoke: put an old coffee can in the middle of the charcoal ring; pack lump and wood chunks in the ring tightly (use your hand to shake and pack the pieces tight); carefully remove the can and dump in 1/2 chimney of lit lump in the empty spot. I cook with a full water pan and easily get 10 hours at 225-245 with fuel left over.:thumb:

Other factors that will affect fuel consumption: total mass of meat; ambient temp, wind, opening the lid etc. The way I look at it, lump is relatively cheap and any leftover lump can be relit for your next smoke.

My SOP was to just fill the ring, Minion it, and close the dampers to snuff it out when I was done. I always had leftover for the next cook.

I'm confused here. Upgrade kit? What do you upgrade to get a WSM? And how do you do it?

Go to CajunBandit.com and kind the conversion kit.

It's a $195 No free shipping...

And it's really bad arse..

_MG_3644.CR2.jpg

Go to CajunBandit.com and kind the conversion kit.

It's a $195 No free shipping...

And it's really bad arse..

_MG_3644.CR2.jpg

Okay, now I'm unconfused...

I know what a Cajun Bandit is. It's not however a WSM?

The WSM cooks way different than the Cajun Bandit "conversion" kit. Asking how to cook something in a WSM when you really have a converted kettle is like asking how a UDS cooks when you really have a WSM.

I wish I could help you on this, but I can't. A real WSM and I could give you all kinds of pointers and tips.

Sorry...

Derek, truthfully what you have is not a WSM, it is a Weber Kettle with a Cajun Bandit smoker kit. To be fair, it is not a Weber Smoky Mountain and I think you will find that the Cajun Bandit folks think their product is better and will appreciate any kudos you can their way. On the other hand, I am sure Weber would prefer you not call someone else's product a WSM. The guys that make the Cajun Bandit are members here and deserve credit where credit is due.

Derek, truthfully what you have is not a WSM, it is a Weber Kettle with a Cajun Bandit smoker kit. To be fair, it is not a Weber Smoky Mountain and I think you will find that the Cajun Bandit folks think their product is better and will appreciate any kudos you can their way. On the other hand, I am sure Weber would prefer you not call someone else's product a WSM. The guys that make the Cajun Bandit are members here and deserve credit where credit is due.
Thank you LandArc, I'll call it by it's real name, a CB cajun Bandit.

And Larry, Sorry to confuse you and others. It was my intention, bro....

The guys are right. It's not a WSM, but if it burns like one then I would start it as mwmac suggests. It is important to catch the temp on the way up. If it gets hotter than you want it can be hard to get back down

Also, put hot water in the pan. No need to waste fuel heating water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back