My Wife Wants a Gas Grill

Asunshine

Found some matches.
Reaction score
That being said, which gas grill would you consider. I am interested in your thoughts of a total Infrared grill, Tech Grill, vs. standard grills like Blaze, Lynx,etc.

What do you like to cook? How often? How much food? What are you using today? Why does she want you to get a gas?

We have a Green Egg and a G2 Party Backwoods Smoker already. She wants a quick and easy way to cook steaks, chicken, fish and burgers. I want a grill that cooks evenly and does not flare up a lot, so I was looking at the Tec Infrared system for her; safety issues mostly and convenience for her. I prefer a charcoal option when I cook.

Budget? Generally, with gassers, you get what you pay for. I would avoid Char-Broil. Bad at all price points.

I have a Weber Genesis with a searing burner that we bought for weeknights when pressed for time. Hardly use it since I bought a weed burner and use it to light the Green Egg as it gets up to temp just as fast as gas.

I still like my old Weber Genesis Gold Series, when it gets tired, I just rebuild it.

We have a Weber Genesis three-burner, with additional side burner. My wife doesn't have to mess with a weed burner or pellets, only having to turn a couple knobs....just like in the kitchen. :)

Since its just for her, I'd go Weber Genesis. Multiple burners, decent quality, reputable, easy to sell on Craigslist if needed. No need to spend a bunch of money to grill a hotdog.

I would not worry about flare ups. You want some to get a little char on it, then you can just move the meat to another zone where the burner is not lit, close the lid and finish indirect.

Just hit a Lowe's/Home Depot or your favorite big box. Whatever brand they have for that year will work. I bought a "Master Forge" stainless steel five burner 10 years ago and it still works flawlessly. Just look for what suits your fancy, and you'll be fine. Obviously there's some junk out there, but you'll spot that a mile away.

We have a Green Egg and a G2 Party Backwoods Smoker already. She wants a quick and easy way to cook steaks, chicken, fish and burgers. I want a grill that cooks evenly and does not flare up a lot, so I was looking at the Tec Infrared system for her; safety issues mostly and convenience for her. I prefer a charcoal option when I cook.

I have no personal experience. My $0.02 for what it's worth -- I've thought about the Tec grill but I would think that it could be a pain to clean. I know they claim that all the drippings burn up but I have trouble believing that for some types of food. For instance, I grill a lot of vegetables in Italian dressing and often poor extra over it while cooking. Based on what my ceramic cook top looks like in the kitchen, I suspect that would yield a mess.

On paper, the Blaze Professional looks attractive and it's one I've seriously considered for when my Weber dies. Very heavy duty and you can have one of the burners infrared for higher heat. Unfortunately it's very difficult to get a lot of (unbiased) information on it outside of Shoppers Choice -- who also happens to be the manufacturer. I've also only heard good things about Lynx.

I wouldn't worry about flare ups on any of the higher end grills. They all have flame tamer systems that provide full coverage and should keep things under control.

If you want infrared you could look at Saber -- I think they have one that's pretty well reviewed and somewhat cheaper than the Tec (though without the sealed system)

Good luck

I picked up a stainless "look" charbroil 5 burner on the clearance cheap at target last fall. Ordered the grill grates to fit the entire surface and tossed the charbroil grates aside. This thing now cooks like an expensive weber. The grates ran me a little over $100 for 5 grates (modular) and the charbroil I stole for $160. I can also put the grates on my pellet grill if needed. I usually smoke my steaks in my cook shack or pellet gill for an hour and then finish them on the grates to 130 -135. If I am not smoking them, right on the grates for a 500+ degree sear. The juices vaporize and flavor the steak nicely. If the charbroil implodes in 5 years, I'll still have the grates and restart the clearance search again.

If your budget if 300+ look into this grill with WM. I was checking one of these out already built in the home/garden center and was really impressed with the solidness of it. Lid felt like a weber with the weight. (not all stainless on body though) brickseek.com/walmart inventory-checker sku=55464075 plug in your zip and it will tell you if any are in stock near you. I've seen them as low as $250 near me.

I have the cheapest portable TEC, which happens to be an aluminum body. If I were to do it again I'd upgrade to the cheapest SS one (which costs about twice the one I have).

That said, it works wonderfully. Great temp reach (though a bit tough to get down low, which is what the next model up resolves). Very easy to clean. Very fast. Full-up recommendation here - I got it as a fast complement to the BGE, and it fills the role well.

If I were you, I'd also look into the Sabers. Though made by a subsidiary of Char-Broil, it really is a different division with different goals, and the quality is said to be very good. At about half the price of a comparable TEC.

I'd still prefer the TEC, though. And in general, if I'm going to use a gasser for anything, I want infrared.

- Ed

I have put new burners in my Weber Genesis twice in the last 18 years. The second time was last week. I have replaced the grates and flavorizor bars once.

I use during the week. Charcoal and wood for the weekends.

the refurbished Genesis really have a cool retro look that I will take over stainless any day.

Back