MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:09 PM   #1
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong
Default Any welders in here?

I'm trying to do stuff to my Bandera wagon and I can't run from it any longer.

I need to weld.

My ignorance is showing but mixing gas seems like an unnecessary step so I've only been looking at flux core welders. Would they hold up something that will be barreling down the highway at some point? All of my tubes for the smoker legs are 3/16" tubes.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:21 AM   #3
SmittyJonz

Old 09-18-2017, 12:31 AM   #4
SmittyJonz

Old 09-18-2017, 01:07 AM   #5
SmittyJonz

Old 09-18-2017, 01:27 AM   #6
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Flux core will weld as good as MIG, just more messy and more learning curve cause you can't see the weld pool. Quality weldability. Same, with some practice.

3/16" is not something I would do with a 90 amp Harbor Freight. Like in the above video you can made a decent looking weld, but it will have almost no penetration. That guys weld look OK, but I bet everything I own they are not strong enough to even hold my jock.

That guy in the above video with the Harbor Freight 90 amp machine is a 120% total brainless moron. When he gets a molten BB in his arm he will stop being stupid. Some just have to learn the hard way.

To answer your question, a flux core is just as good as MIG as long as you have a decent machine that can put out the needed amps for your application.

Last edited by Rockinar; 09-18-2017 at 02:02 AM..
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2017, 04:50 AM   #7
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
I'm trying to do stuff to my Bandera wagon and I can't run from it any longer. I need to weld.
My ignorance is showing but mixing gas seems like an unnecessary step so I've only been looking at flux core welders. Would they hold up something that will be barreling down the highway at some point? All of my tubes for the smoker legs are 3/16" tubes.
3/16" steel "V" ground weld area can be welded with a quality 110 mig. With gas or flux core (no gas) is doable when done correctly. The gas allows a much cleaner weld, no flux to knock lose/off after welding. For better penetration, a 120 mig or tig weld would be better.
Barreling down the highway, you better make sure you did it right. The end result could be something that ends up haunting you for life.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

You want gas. It is much cleaner.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Use gas, cleaner and welding is easier for the beginner. Minimum 120 / 140 welder.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
Kmm
On the road to being a farker

Have you considered going with an old school buzz box?
Not quite as easy as wire, but far more economical. For horizontal welds on 3/16" mild steel(A36), I generally run 5/16", 7018's at about 140 Amps (dc). If I need to run vertical welds, I will generally lay down a base bead with 5/16, 6011's at around 130 Amps (dc) and then follow with 7018's for the cap. Yeah it is slower, there is more splatter and constantly stoping to feed rods is a pia, but there is also something very reassuring about "feeling" the work and knowing the quality of your welds even before the slag has cooled.
Kmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
SmittyJonz

What would a decent small gas welder with bottle n everything cost ?. $500.? $600 ? $700 ?
What welder do y'all recommend.?

I bought a cheap flux core from Northern Tool for $140 cuz I didn't have Funds for a gas rig and I got it to make fire grates and cooking grates, add/replace latches, hinges etc........ I'm not Building smokers just tinkering on them. I bought a bolt together trailer for BoomShuckaLucka being as I don't know how to Weld. I did "Weld" the firebox together on it......

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 09-18-2017 at 10:47 AM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #12
SmittyJonz

Like this Hobart. What else is needed? Just a bottle , wire and cart ?

http://m.northerntool.com/products/s...1413?adv=false

Old 09-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #13
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
What would a decent small gas welder with bottle n everything cost ?. $400 $500.? $600 ?
What welder do y'all recommend.?
I bought a cheap flux core from Northrrn Tool for $140 cuz I didn't have Funds for a gas rig and I got it to make fire grates and cooking grates, add/replace latches, hinges etc........ I'm not Building smokers just tinkering on them. I bought a bolt together trailer for BoomShuckaLucka being as I don't know how to Weld. I did "Weld" the firebox together on it......
Kind of like Ford/Chevy. But after using Miller for 26 yrs and Lincoln's for 35+ yrs. I own and prefer Lincoln. My 110 mig is 25+ yrs old. And still working, thou I do have to play with the voltage switch once in awhile. I'll end up replacing it one of these days.
In this area, don't know about yours. You should be able to get everything for $500-600.
Something to think about. I have a 40 and 125 bottles. The 125 is on my homebuilt cart. The 30 is for when I have to go somewhere and do a weld job. Much easier to transport.
You might be able to switch your over. Typically it is switch the leads under the cover. add a hose and gas. Some have built in regulators, some do not. Install a new liner and a new tip. I prefer .023 wire over .030 or .035 using 110v. Get extra tips and a spool of wire. Just so when you "have" to get a job done you do not run out. Been there done that.
Get the 3lb spools! not the 11lbers. It takes alot of power to drive the 11lber and typically burns out the motor sooner. IMHO.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #14
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Like this Hobart. What else is needed? Just a bottle , wire and cart ?
liner and tip.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #15
SmittyJonz

What's a liner.?