MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #61
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

I just did a cut and paste from Jay's site. I know we both agree, no matter the size of the racks, Spicewine cookers are amazing units.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #62
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_MAFIA View Post
I just did a cut and paste from Jay's site. I know we both agree, no matter the size of the racks, Spicewine cookers are amazing units.
Yes they are.

I think Jay downsized the racks a while ago (after I got mine). A guy I know has a newer super medium and he can't get 3 hotel pans on a rack and I've seen a couple of large cookers with different sized racks.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #63
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge View Post
i disagree with getting two smaller cookers at once. I'd rather have one larger than two small, just my opinion though.
what do you do when you just want to cook one brisket or rack of ribs or bird?

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #64
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post

Ive used my 250 gal hog cooker to cook one butt before...

Old 07-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #65
hedge
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

use another smoker in your collection.
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #66
PMG
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militant83 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has given some advice. Although the best advice given was just get out there and see if you can see any in person. So hopefully if things go right I will do just that and end up at the KCBS comp in Kettering,OH this coming weekend to get a look at some cookers and speak with the teams to get their thoughts on their particular cooker.
I will be in Kettering, OH this weekend if you want to stop by and check out the Humphrey's cookers.

KCBS, CBJ, NBBQA, GLBBQA, OBR

Thanks To Our Sponsor:[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Humphrey's Smokers[/B][/COLOR]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/slipperypetesbbq"][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Facebook[/COLOR][/URL]
PMG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #67
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMG View Post
I will be in Kettering, OH this weekend if you want to stop by and check out the Humphrey's cookers.
Thanks for the offer, I wish I could. My vacation day got denied so that isn't an option now. But my next option will be the Cincinnati event as long as nothing else comes up. I really wanted to go to the Nelsonville competition but thats a no go as well due to the Pumpkin Show here in Circleville.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #68
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I'd rather cook 1 butt in a competitor than a chubby. Negligible difference in fuel used anyways.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #69
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

PMG I checked out your Facebook, are those Quebe'd battle boxes or regular?

Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #70
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
I'd rather cook 1 butt in a competitor than a chubby. Negligible difference in fuel used anyways.
Interesting.

I'd rather HAVE one competitor than one chubby.

But for competition and backyard, I'd prefer to have the option of cooking at different times and temps and woods.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #71
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

My only concern with 2 pits, is one always gets neglected and a neglected pit can turn funky. As a competition team though, 2 is a great idea if you have a teammate with his own pit.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #72
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge View Post
use another smoker in your collection.
like maybe a humphries 1/2 pint? ya kinda proved my point a disproved yours all at once there fella.

oooh something shiny!

see y'all in 6 months.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #73
hedge
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
like maybe a humphries 1/2 pint? ya kinda proved my point a disproved yours all at once there fella.

oooh something shiny!

see y'all in 6 months.
no where did i say that.
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #74
PMG
Found some matches.

Quote:
PMG I checked out your Facebook, are those Quebe'd battle boxes or regular?
Regular Battle Boxes.

KCBS, CBJ, NBBQA, GLBBQA, OBR

Thanks To Our Sponsor:[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Humphrey's Smokers[/B][/COLOR]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/slipperypetesbbq"][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Facebook[/COLOR][/URL]
PMG is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-09-2014, 03:01 AM   #75
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I don't care for the WSM personally, I've used them in the past. And this purchase isn't just for competitions, I also wanted a nice insulated cooker that will hold up well in the cold Ohio winters if I chose to cook over the winter.

Well guys, as much as I wanted to try to get to a comp this weekend and see some cookers in person, that is now a no go. Work isn't wanting to play well with me taking the time off unfortunately. So it looks like this will end up being a sight unseen purchase unless I can get down to the KCBS event in Cincinnati in October.
To be honest, imo going to a comp and looking is a great idea in theory, but in real world application won't give you much more info than what you get right here and on manufacturers sites. Think about it, when I ask someone about their pit, that they maybe invested a few thousand in, hardly ever do I get a response of "gee its ok but I probably wouldn't buy it if I had it to do all over again." Basically, everyone seems to love the pit they invested in. It is just human nature really. Look on this site for instance, is there really a lot of guys trash talking the pit that they use? Not much. Yeah it would be nice to swing by a comp and see them in person, but it isn't like you would get to actually use any of them, and I doubt you would get a ton of unbiased opinion. Not a knock in any way on fellow brethren, its just the nature of the beast. And besides, I think the majority of people here have probably bought their pits site unseen as well.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote