MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #46
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtboswell View Post
Be careful Jason, he has an eidetic memory and will never forget what you've said to him.
Hehe. You're funny

Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #47
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
If you decide on a Spicewine get a Super medium, not a medium. If you are thinking gravity fed take a long look at a Vulcan.
What is the rack size on a Super Medium?
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #48
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
Yes exactly. Different strokes . Every cooker has their pro's and con's. And different people will think the con's are pro's on one cooker and pro's are con's. Some want the moving parts and think that is awesome and some like it more simple. What works for some won't work for others in a competition. So negating a type of cooker in a discussion like this is just strange to me.
Dude, I am not negating anything. That is why I said "understand" and did not use verbage that was definitive. I obviously don't own one so there could be an advantage I am not aware of. I was very careful not to say gravity cookers are bad cookers. I base my observations on real experience. In the not too distant past our neighbors at a contest had a gravity cooker. I will not name the cooker as to sway any ones opinion. He miscalculated the amount of charcoal because he decided to use his smoker in the grilling event the day before. He had to run out and purchase charcoal and unfortunately was not able to find his preferred brand at a supermarket (only store open at the time) on a Sunday morning (in the NE we have a good share of Sat/Sun contests). It was indeed crappy charcoal and he was experiencing jams. We gave him a spare bag of ours (we had plenty and usually take home a couple of bags not used) to finish up. I wish he asked us for the charcoal first as we could have saved him the stress, trip and trouble.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 07-07-2014 at 09:45 AM..
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #49
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtboswell View Post
Be careful Jason, he has an eidetic memory and will never forget what you've said to him.
What is it? Is July 7th break Guy's balls day? I generally don't hold grudges (although I admit there is a neighbor that I don't see eye to eye with) either.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #50
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
What is it? Is July 7th break Guy's balls day?
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #51
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
What is the rack size on a Super Medium?
32" W by 38"D I think - I'll run out and measure mine if you want exact measurements. i can get 3 hotel pans per rack; one across and two side by side or 12 butts 4 deep 3 across per rack.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #52
Biged92
On the road to being a farker

From a competition standpoint, our Assassin has been awesome. It has helped turn out some great product. As for bridging we have never had a problem. The Assassin design (this may also be true for the Rebels and Superior lines), the chute starts off 6" wide at the top, and is 8" wide at the bottom to help prevent bridging. But I also do a 50/50 mixture of Stubbs and RO lump, and I go through all of the lump to make sure the pieces are roughly 4" or smaller. Like others have said, find a cooker that fit's your needs and style of cooking, get your timings down, and you'll be golden. The Assassin has definitely been the best fit for us. Good Luck.

22.5 WSM w/ WiFi Stoker | 22.5" OTS | Assassin28 | Traeger Lil Tex Elite | GMG Daniel Boone
Biged92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #53
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Quote:
32" W by 38"D I think - I'll run out and measure mine if you want exact measurements. i can get 3 hotel pans per rack; one across and two side by side or 12 butts 4 deep 3 across per rack.
that sounds bigger than a large.
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #54
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
that sounds bigger than a large.
I think a large is 42x38
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------

Old 07-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #55
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i would suggest forgeting about what cooker to buy...for now.

you're considering investing 1,2,3 thousand dollars on a tool for something you haven't tried yet.

my opinion, take it for what it's worth, is:
1)get yourself a 22" WSM and a kettle, some blues hog and smoking guns hot.
2)do a practice run or two right quick and HIT UP A COMP! "pro" division, not back yard.
3)reflect on your experience over the offseason and make any changes or upgrades as you see fit. then you can make more educated choices.

with that said, after cooking on WSM's for @ 5 years, if there was any budget for me for this wonderful hobby, i would invest in 2 humphries half pints for competing.

good luck out there.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #56
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
i would suggest forgeting about what cooker to buy...for now.

you're considering investing 1,2,3 thousand dollars on a tool for something you haven't tried yet.

my opinion, take it for what it's worth, is:
1)get yourself a 22" WSM and a kettle, some blues hog and smoking guns hot.
2)do a practice run or two right quick and HIT UP A COMP! "pro" division, not back yard.
3)reflect on your experience over the offseason and make any changes or upgrades as you see fit. then you can make more educated choices.

with that said, after cooking on WSM's for @ 5 years, if there was any budget for me for this wonderful hobby, i would invest in 2 humphries half pints for competing.

good luck out there.
I don't care for the WSM personally, I've used them in the past. And this purchase isn't just for competitions, I also wanted a nice insulated cooker that will hold up well in the cold Ohio winters if I chose to cook over the winter.

Well guys, as much as I wanted to try to get to a comp this weekend and see some cookers in person, that is now a no go. Work isn't wanting to play well with me taking the time off unfortunately. So it looks like this will end up being a sight unseen purchase unless I can get down to the KCBS event in Cincinnati in October.

Last edited by Militant83; 07-08-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Militant83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 PM   #57
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i can understand that.

but it's not about liking or disliking a particular cooker, but rather competition itself. i'd say it would be prudent to at least get your feet wet before making any major investments in the hobby.

but anyway, for the dollar value, i would go with humphries. 2 smaller ones for versatility. you can cook alot if you like or a little, different or same temps/start times, and they are portable.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #58
hedge
Full Fledged Farker

i disagree with getting two smaller cookers at once. I'd rather have one larger than two small, just my opinion though.
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #59
BBQ_MAFIA

Attached below are the specs for Spicewine cookers. As far as I know the Super Medium is a special order and the specs are not on the web site.

Quote:
I think a large is 42x38
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spicewine Specs.jpg (90.6 KB, 143 views)

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #60
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_MAFIA View Post
Attached below are the specs for Spicewine cookers. As far as I know the Super Medium is a special order and the specs are not on the web site.
Your post made me curious so I measured my super medium racks they're 26" W x 35" D
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
-----------------