2nd Brisket Ever - 1st Was 3 Years ago

We all thought the point had way better flavor and texture than the flat. Burnt ends come from the point, right? Is it pretty much universally agreed upon that point meat is better than flat meat?

It's a recent phenomenon, actually. Until brisket got trendy the past decade or so, brisket was mostly the flat cut. At least here in Texas.

We all thought the point had way better flavor and texture than the flat. Burnt ends come from the point, right? Is it pretty much universally agreed upon that point meat is better than flat meat?
I say this a lot...
Almost anyone can cook a point properly. Getting the flat right takes lots of practice. I judge a brisket or bbq joint by the flat.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It's a recent phenomenon, actually. Until brisket got trendy the past decade or so, brisket was mostly the flat cut. At least here in Texas.

wut

I've been in Texas since '78 and it's only recently that I see point and flat separated. It's always been full packer.

wut

I've been in Texas since '78 and it's only recently that I see point and flat separated. It's always been full packer.

I'm talking about places serving the fatty stuff. Ask for a slice of brisket in the 90s and it was mostly the lean flat stuff or the point with the fat trimmed completely off.

Generally but not exactly. A good comparison of people opinions-would be a ribeye vs a t bone. I think ribeye is hands down the best steak cut. Others say its fatty and prefer the t bone.

Those people are of course wrong but still entitled to their opinion.

Good stuff. Glad brisket #2 turned out well!

Also check Sams Club for briskets. Being in the "Ag Belt" you should be able to get a better deal on beef than a lot of guys.

Generally but not exactly. A good comparison of people opinions-would be a ribeye vs a t bone. I think ribeye is hands down the best steak cut. Others say its fatty and prefer the t bone.

Those people are of course wrong but still entitled to their opinion.

At the church I used to attend, the pastor was fond of saying something like that, LOL. Tongue in cheek, of course. Something like "It's okay if we disagree, we can still get along. It's not the end of the world for you to be wrong."

I'm talking about places serving the fatty stuff. Ask for a slice of brisket in the 90s and it was mostly the lean flat stuff or the point with the fat trimmed completely off.

Ahhhhh. Yes, you are right. You just got what they gave you. I'm betting they were saving the point for their regulars, until they realized they could charge extra for it.

Agreed on the Costco Prime brisket. I believe whole-heartedly that Costco meats are better and cheaper when you compare apples to apples. That's why I drive an hour to get there. I just picked up a prime brisket for $2.99 at the Costco in Mobile. My experience previously was with wally world choice, and it was ok...but the Costco briskets I usually don't do a thing to them. Very little, if any trimming is needed. I just give them a good forearm bend test and grab the one with the most consistent sized flat and away I go...to find more meat.
Also, the best part about bad brisket is that you can just chop it up, pour some bbq sauce on it, and make a bbq sammich.

Wire,
If you have a GFS, go there are check out the brisket before buying the Costco membership (which is a good investment for other reasons). It looks like GFS stores are only in the midwest (a few trickled into PA and FL), so many of the good brethren may not have one yet. You mentioned that they might not advertise when it's on sale. GFS does. It just came off of sale this week, it won't be long until it's back to $2.49 or so. https://gfsstore.com/ads/

As for your question about buying just the flat or just the point... I prefer the whole packer. The fat from the point mixes well with the less tender point and I love mixing them up for my burnt ends! :grin:

As for your question about buying just the flat or just the point... I prefer the whole packer. The fat from the point mixes well with the less tender point and I love mixing them up for my burnt ends! :grin:

I want to make burnt ends, but I want to get way better at brisket first. I'll definitely stop by Gordon's this week. I do a fair amount of electrical service work for a Culver's restaurant, and Gordon's is right next door.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to conquer good brisket, or go broke trying. I'm too stubborn to give up that easily. What's really driving this is that I get tired of pork. When that happens, I want beef or poultry. I don't care for smoked chicken, but I love smoked turkey. So, my rotation is pork, pork, beef, turkey... or something along those lines. So I'll do pork ribs, pulled pork or pork steaks, then a bird, then some type of beef. My repertoire isn't deep, so I am trying to expand it by branching out into brisket. I had my eye on some beef plate ribs at Kroger this morning, but I want turkey breasts this weekend, then beef ribs next weekend.

Did this with the rest of the brisket. I hope it isn't sacrilege to the brisket purists here. Pretty tasty this way.

Last edited:
The brisket/rice/gravy thing was awesome, but I wish I had skipped the salt that the gravy recipe called for. I used to eat a TON of salt on my food, until I met my wife. Her family uses table salt on very few foods. I've adopted that habit, shortly after we met, about 25 years ago. So now, it's easy for foods to taste overly salty to me.

Last edited:
I wanted brisket chili and brisket tacos, because of what I've seen here. But it's still too warm for chili (sort of), and I didn't think I did a good enough job with it to use it on tacos. I'm persistent. I'll keep trying until I get brisket I love. Then I'll make burnt ends.

Is it pretty much universally agreed upon that point meat is better than flat meat?

You can see it in this video from the Food Network. The carver is just scraping the fat off before serving the brisket. The restaurant was showcased on this show in 2003-2004. North Main BBQ was the place to be on the weekend back in the 90s... now they are under new ownership and the place is garbage.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/tx/euless/north-main-bbq-restaurant

Back