MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Fake Farmer
On the road to being a farker

Default Spatchcock Chicken, Campfire Potatoes, and Beef Stew

Spatchcocked a chicken and embraced the fall weather. At the same time that I was cooking chicken on the kettle, my wife was putting together an amazing beef stew!

Spatchcocked and covered in McCormicks Montreal Chicken. The chicken marinated overnight in Italian Dressing. I planned on a brine of salt and brown sugar, but had to work on saturday night, and didnt have time. Cooked for 2 hours around 270 with a few small chunks of cherry wood. The skin turned out LOOKING beautiful, but was not crispy. Too tough. Think I shoulda gone half hour then direct to get a crisp. The potatoes and onions were delicious and so easy.

Found out Yuengling has a porter, and thought it was perfect for the weather. Built a fire with my 2 year olds "help". Gonna be enjoying this delicious beef stew over the next few days. Thanks for looking.
Fake Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice looking, all around!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Phubar

Looks good!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Very nice!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks tasty.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Great looking meal.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Fwismoker

You had me at spatchcock...and campfire :)

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
scayne62
Full Fledged Farker

Looks delicious, I too spatched a chicken last night but failed as a brethen to take pics of the process, mine to turned out a perfect color, the skin was better than normal but still not as crunchy and bite through as I know it should be, had a hell of a time getting temp up on the IDS, time for her winter coat.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Dang that looks good

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
Garrett
Babbling Farker

That'll stick to your ribs!!! Looks good.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
Fake Farmer
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the good words, Brethren.

Got some advice on cooking it high heat, like at 325-350. Was told it'll take care of any skin issues and make sure that it's crisp and crunchy. Was very happy with the meat quality, but it's great to learn something with every cook.
Fake Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Not sure which I like best, everything looks fantastic!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Yum! Spatch be good!

Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Old 11-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #15
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

Chicken looks delicious. The chicken that you have there looks like a pastured raised hen.

So much flavor and texture compared to foster farms chicken but not as forgiving due to fat content.

I have had luck on the kettle half chimney of unlit charcoals banked to one side the other half of the chimney is fully lit and than poured over the unlit. Intake and exhaust vents wide open until thin blue smoke exits the kettle. Cooked indirect until 160. Skin side up.

With this method I noticed the skin is bite through and crispy with the meat really juicy. This has been my experience with the pastured hens at least here in Southern California.

1 members found this post helpful.