MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Default competition chicken

I have never really had any success with chicken and wanted some input. I generally marinate in Itailian dressing overnight, move the chicken (thighs) to a foil pan covered with foil for an hour and a half on the smoker and finish on my chicken grill with a little smoke and high heat then sauce with a sweet mix of sauce, juice and some corn syrup. bite through skin,trimming and presentation dont seem to be the issue. Im not sure if I am even in the ball park with this, what do you think?
Sal
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
VA BBQ PIRATES
On the road to being a farker

Our chicken has been all over the place. One thing I think I've been doing is over cooking it. This might be part of what's going on with yours too. What temp is it when you move it to the grill?

Tom
VA BBQ PIRATES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pics???
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA BBQ PIRATES View Post
Our chicken has been all over the place. One thing I think I've been doing is over cooking it. This might be part of what's going on with yours too. What temp is it when you move it to the grill?

Tom
I switch it over about 140 and because of the way the MeadowCreek chicken cooker I can "flip" the chicken for about 45 min. to finish the chicken. The "fire" is far bellow the grate so I havent had any time getting it up to 170ish with out burning it, after the carry over it generally is about 180ish when it is resting.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Pics???

What he said!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

Don't know if you'd like a judge's input, but here goes anyway...

You say you cover your pan during the 1 1/2 hours of smoking, do you leave the foil loose so some smoke can get in? One of my major complaints with chicken is that often there's just no smoky flavor.

Also, without knowing how thickly you sauce, it sounds like your sauce could be pretty sticky/sweet. Maybe leave out the corn syrup? Chicken is always the messiest category, and while most judges will try the first bite with skin, sauce & all, we do tend to then try to get past the sauce into the chicken itself. IMO, the meat should be able to stand on it's own, and in 7 years of judging, I've never heard a judge say they wish there was more sauce on chicken.
SaucyWench is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

this is the first attempt at a pic. I hope this works!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chicken.jpg (67.1 KB, 377 views)

Old 11-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
NelsonC

Having only cooked in one contest, I'm definitely no expert.... but I did win chicken at that contest, so I hope this helps. My prep was similar to yours (marinade, then rub), but I didn't use a pan or foil during the cooking process. The thighs went directly on the grate of the stumps, skin side up the entire time (no grill finishing). I did glaze with a sweet sauce about 30 minutes prior to pulling them to prepare my turn in box. I took the thighs all the way to 180* and had bite-through, not crispy skin. I don't really believe in resting chicken, because you don't cut, slice or pull it for turning in.

Here is a picture of my turn in from Rocky Mount

NelsonC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
nthole
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonC View Post

Wow...THAT is some gorgeous chicken. I'd give it a 9 hands down.

See how his chicken is more even on the overall look? You can also see there's a lot going on with it, spices, etc.

Doesn't sound like anything is wrong with your method. We've stopped trying to finish on the grill as well and have been doing better.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonC View Post
Having only cooked in one contest, I'm definitely no expert.... but I did win chicken at that contest, so I hope this helps. My prep was similar to yours (marinade, then rub), but I didn't use a pan or foil during the cooking process. The thighs went directly on the grate of the stumps, skin side up the entire time (no grill finishing). I did glaze with a sweet sauce about 30 minutes prior to pulling them to prepare my turn in box. I took the thighs all the way to 180* and had bite-through, not crispy skin. I don't really believe in resting chicken, because you don't cut, slice or pull it for turning in.

What temp are you cooking at? top or bottom rack?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
NelsonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
What temp are you cooking at? top or bottom rack?
Between 225-235, bottom rack.
NelsonC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I have seen some great looking chicken on here. the pic is my turn in at Pickin' in the PanHandle, it was 13th. I really hope this thread not only helps me but others like the Brisket sauce thread probably will (I know it will for me!!)there are alot of guys doing well in chicken on here, I am not looking for recipes more for a technique. Any pointers would be great! thanks! I really dont even mind a critique of my method, just want to add another chapter to the brethern book.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
<snip>, it was 13th. <snip>
I think 13th place chicken is better then 1st around here.

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #14
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

The best we ever done in chicken was when it was dark red with a shiny glaze! Seems to be the magic for us. We tried other methods for coloring and it never scored as well. We cook at 300+.
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #15
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
this is the first attempt at a pic. I hope this works!!
Ganome, it seems from the pix that you need a little more heat. The chicken looks kinda light and it make the grate marks very noticable. a thinned out sauce could also help even out the color, just make sure you give it a bit of time to set in.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=82
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote