MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
c farmer
Babbling Farker

I built my own drum, but bought the big poppa basket so I could sear too.

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

You can buy new or refurbished drums here in Chicago from

The Cary Company
1195 W Fullerton Ave, Addison, IL 60101
(630) 376-2400
http://www.thecarycompany.com/

It has been a few years, but it was like $50 for refurb and $70 for brand new. I have one of each. Get the new. The paint peels on the refurb. Just wash out with detergent when you get it.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the feedback. I had reached out to the Cary Company to see about getting an unpainted, unlined drum with no rust inhibitor and no EPDM lid gasket and there was a minimum order of 20. But ordering one unlined, painted drum shouldn't be a problem. Also, the Cary drum is rated to 325 deg F. which is a tad on the low side.

I'm also talking with EBK Containers and Basco.

This was the sandblaster I've found: http://www.dakecoblasting.com/. I'm waiting on a quote but assuming they can do the inside and outside, I can give the inside a good wash and oil coat and slap some BBQ paint on the outside.

I noticed the pit barrel cooker but it looked it was only 30 gallons and I'd prefer the UDS. Just need to have some patience while tracking down the right drum. I'm hoping the sandblasting cost isn't too outrageous. Thanks for the advice so far though.
bbq1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #19
Bob O Q Shawtee
On the road to being a farker

Is there reasons why the fire must be roaring and licking high in the sky?
A controled fire not much different to one used in cooking will heat the barrel enough to remove the lining and paint. If the athorities are apt to show up when smoke is reported,you will not be able to use the drum anyhow.

Now there was a story about some fracker South of Ft Worth Tx atracting a lot of attention while burning a barrel out. The problem wasn't the fire in the barrel so much as the whooping,holloring and dancing around it was.
Bob O Q Shawtee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #20
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq1980 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I had reached out to the Cary Company to see about getting an unpainted, unlined drum with no rust inhibitor and no EPDM lid gasket and there was a minimum order of 20. But ordering one unlined, painted drum shouldn't be a problem. Also, the Cary drum is rated to 325 deg F. which is a tad on the low side.

I noticed the pit barrel cooker but it looked it was only 30 gallons and I'd prefer the UDS. Just need to have some patience while tracking down the right drum. I'm hoping the sandblasting cost isn't too outrageous. Thanks for the advice so far though.
Like I said, I've got 2 from Cary. No issues.

You don't need/want one without rust inhibitor. The rust inhitbitor is just a light coat of oil. If it doesn't have this, it will be all rust when you get it. A quick rinse with some Dawn works. The EPDM gasket isn't an issue either. Just scrape it out. And I would ignore the temp rating. That isn't for what you're using it for. Maybe that is when the paint would peel??? Who knows. But these are standard drums. More than likely, any drum you find in Chicago came from them. I guarantee that their drums are perfectly suited to building a UDS.

Another Chicago manufacturer. http://www.skolnik.com/ They would sell me one for about the same price, but it was easier to drive to Addison than the City.

And, if you're interested in a Pitbarrel cooker, PM me. I got one sitting here I don't use much and would be willing to sell you.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O Q Shawtee View Post
Is there reasons why the fire must be roaring and licking high in the sky?
A controled fire not much different to one used in cooking will heat the barrel enough to remove the lining and paint. If the athorities are apt to show up when smoke is reported,you will not be able to use the drum anyhow.

Now there was a story about some fracker South of Ft Worth Tx atracting a lot of attention while burning a barrel out. The problem wasn't the fire in the barrel so much as the whooping,holloring and dancing around it was.
The dreaded Red Liner.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #22
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Like I said, I've got 2 from Cary. No issues.

You don't need/want one without rust inhibitor. The rust inhitbitor is just a light coat of oil. If it doesn't have this, it will be all rust when you get it. A quick rinse with some Dawn works. The EPDM gasket isn't an issue either. Just scrape it out. And I would ignore the temp rating. That isn't for what you're using it for. Maybe that is when the paint would peel??? Who knows. But these are standard drums. More than likely, any drum you find in Chicago came from them. I guarantee that their drums are perfectly suited to building a UDS.

Another Chicago manufacturer. http://www.skolnik.com/ They would sell me one for about the same price, but it was easier to drive to Addison than the City.

And, if you're interested in a Pitbarrel cooker, PM me. I got one sitting here I don't use much and would be willing to sell you.
Perfect. That was what I was looking for. I'm curious to see what the Cary sales rep says, since one of my questions was whether the rust inhibitor would be water soluble. And as far as the paint goes, I was expecting it might peel, but I assume if it's a new drum, that won't be as much of an issue since I don't imagine going above 300 deg F that often. In this case, I could bypass the sandblasting.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #23
Mugsterdad
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a brand new, complete UDS that I had previously posted on the sales and ventures page here. It is made from a brand new unlined, unpainted barrel. Includes fire basket with ash catcher. The guy that wanted it, hasn't picked it up in a month, so it is available. $230 I can repost later when I have a little time. I sent you a message with my contact info if you are interested.

XL BGE
WPS
UDS
Maverick ET-732
Mugsterdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
jham0077
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : jham0077

I got lucky and got mine blasted for $30. The same place does powder coating. He said he would blast inside and out and paint it for $75 as long as he had the color in stock. I just got the inside blasted. If/when I build another I'm gonna change some things and probably get the paint too. Craigslist is good for drums sometimes if you haven't already checked there.
RecTeq 590 - Woodhouse
XL Big Green Egg(lite basket case, bringing it back)
jham0077 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jham0077 View Post
I got lucky and got mine blasted for $30. The same place does powder coating. He said he would blast inside and out and paint it for $75 as long as he had the color in stock. I just got the inside blasted. If/when I build another I'm gonna change some things and probably get the paint too. Craigslist is good for drums sometimes if you haven't already checked there.
Nice deal. I'll follow up with the sandblaster tomorrow on an estimate but this is definitely more of what I had in mind. I don't mind putting on some coats of hi temp BBQ paint but I'll either cave and buy a weed burner or get it sandblasted since I keep reading conflicting things on the rust inhibitor...some say water soluble and give it a good scrub and others say burn/blast it. Leaning towards the latter right now...

Old 12-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #26
ChickenWang
Full Fledged Farker

Be sure to post some pics of your build if you have time

Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #27
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

I purchased a new one from Grainger that had the rust inhibitor When I ran the weed burner around the inside I could see it evaporate off. Two were mineral oil barrel s that had a week green liner in them. Had both sandblasted inside and out for 60$. My baby drum was a unlined food grade lubricant drum. Just washed it out with dawn and weed burned. Painted two with hi temp engine paint and two with hi temp grill. The engine paint looks better and holds up a bit better for me. Dollar or two more can tho.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8[/URL]
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #28
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

So I may have a solution. The sandblaster wanted $75, so that was discouraging but Apex Drum out in LA can ship an unlined, unpainted drum without the rust inhibitor. They suggest waiting closer to time of use to order, but this might work. They have a choice of gauge, and I assumed the 1.4mm since it may hold heat the best, but the 0.8mm probably will work just as well, no?

Also, if it rusts during shipping, would vinegar get the rust off, followed by cooking spray or Crisco prior to seasoning or is there another food-safe, non-toxic rust remover?

And I was thinking of making the fire basket 8" tall and 17" in diameter using the charcoal grate from a 22" Weber. Hopefully the drum source helps others.

Tags
drum smoker, uds build, UDS Drums, Unlined drum