• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Quick brisket question..

B

BBQ Bros

I'm in the middle of an all day cook and have 2 flat cut briskies on along w/ some other stuff. I have a WSM and have never foiled my briskies before and they always turn out super super tender and moist. I've read many places though, including this forum, that foiling is essential during the cook. Do you agree or disagree? Since I'm using a WSM and they're getting hit with steam from the water pan during the cook, I'm under the impression that's what keeps them nice and moist and therefore I don't need to foil. I am right or wrong? What's your take?

Thanks-

I'm in the middle of an all day cook and have 2 flat cut briskies on along w/ some other stuff. I have a WSM and have never foiled my briskies before and they always turn out super super tender and moist. I've read many places though, including this forum, that foiling is essential during the cook. Do you agree or disagree? Since I'm using a WSM and they're getting hit with steam from the water pan during the cook, I'm under the impression that's what keeps them nice and moist and therefore I don't need to foil. I am right or wrong? What's your take?

Thanks-

Everyone is going to have a different take, but I'm a BIG believer in foiling. Our group usually foils once we get to 160 and then unfoil once we get to about 180 sustained, hit it with a little rub and let it run to the finish line. I think it definitely adds tenderness,but that's just my own two cents.

Definitely one of those subjective things, BUT, I think that the mantra of foiling brisket is due to how hard it is to cook a really good tender/moist brisket relative to the other popular cuts.

That said, if you are able to produce tender/moist brisket that you are happy with without foiling then I would pose the question: "Why start now?".

Nah man, just throw them in the microwave for a couple minutes when they hit 165* and you will be good.

Put the microwave at 50% power, helps with the tenderness.

I prefer not foiling. I will foil if I am trying to speed up timing. But, generally, I prefer to not. If you are happy with your results, do what you do.

Steve, I have the same experience with my wsm and are a big fan of using the water pan. Smoked two nice size packers low-n-slow last night for lunch today and the bark was much better than that from my last HH brisket just a few weeks back. That said, foiling probably gets a more evenly cooked product with more moisture and tenderness....at least more consistently. Still, the water pan most assuredly helps keep the meat from drying out and I wouldn't think of cooking ribs or brisket in my wsm without water unless foiling. If it's not broke though, why fix (foil) it?

Back