MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill
Default Bland Chicken

Hi all. I've really appreciated the advice I've received here and am seeking help again. My problem is that my chicken has been bland. I have a rub that I really like - has some spice - and it works really well with ribs. I usually apply a liberal amount both above and under the skin. It's a home-made rub and the ingredients are usually fresh (not sitting in a drawer for years at a time). I've experimented with several cooking methods such as butter immersion and cupcake but have moved primarily to open cooking on a rack at 275. So, do people tend to use injections or is brining/marinading an answer? Other solutions? What are your thoughts?
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I like to brine chicken for added moisture and flavor. Sometimes I add smoked sausage, andouille, italian, etc. under the skin of a bird to add more moisture and change the flavor up a bit. I also smoke birds at 325F or higher.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

I only brine chicken for the additional flavor it gives under the skin/exposed rub. Chicken is always juicy but the flavor can be bland where the rub doesn't touch.
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #4
dadsr4

Maybe you need to narrow down the flavor you are missing, since you make your own. I make my own rubs, so this is the approach I would use. Usually, when someone uses the term "bland", it means not enough salt, in my experience.
Just as an example, this is the recipe I use on chicken. It's basically like Cavenders Greek Seasoning.

Greek Seasoning Blend
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon basil
1 tsp sage
1 tsp oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dill
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions:
Combine all ingredients in blender, grind to a fine powder, and store in an airtight container.
If you like spicy, some hot pepper flakes can be added.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Low salt rub is going to give you bland chicken. I have never had bland chicken with commercial rubs like Plowboys Yardbird or Mccormmick rotisserie seasoning.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
Low salt rub is going to give you bland chicken. I have never had bland chicken with commercial rubs like Plowboys Yardbird or Mccormmick rotisserie seasoning.

This ^^

Make sure there is enough salt in there.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #7
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

If I am going all out for chicken, I brine for a few hours. After that, I put in a buttermilk bath with a splash of hot sauce for about 12 hours. Dry off, and sit the pieces on a rack skin side up and uncovered for at least a few hours in the fridge. Season, and cook. It's kind of like a fried chicken sort of treatment, minus the frying.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #8
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Dry-brining, it's a thing!

Make your rub but without salt.

Rub your chicken with 1-2% salt, so percentage of total weight, I usually take 1,5% and not all of it gets on the chicken.
Then apply your rub.
Let the chicken sit in the fridge overnight.
Cook/smoke.

There are multiple ways of doing the overnight brine, some wrap the chicken in plastic foil and remove after 24h and put the chicken without the wrap back in the fridge for several hours to dry out the skin. I no longer use the wrap, just let the chicken brine for 24-48hours. Always comes out amazing.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:06 AM   #9
IamMadMan

Have you tried putting your rub under the skin?

I also agree with the above, when using a savory brine; brining can impart great flavors into the chicken as the brine works it's way through the meat. The added benefit of brining is a very moist and tender piece of meat.

However some brines can produce a rubbery skin, so finishing over hot coals is necessary to crisp the skin before serving.

Start with something simple like Cornell Chicken which requires a 24 hour bath. You can still use your low salt rub with this process.

http://orleans.cce.cornell.edu/resou...cken-barbecues
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #10
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Thanks all, I needed a place to start adjusting the process. I'm going to look at some different rub recipes for my chicken (thanks dadsr4) and pay attention to the salt content. I like the idea of the dry brine, so will try that out too. I didn't mention anything about sauce because I'd like to get good flavor before covering in sauce.
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb
Default Bland Chicken

About the only way I cook chicken anymore is grilled over fire. I use GrillGrates on my Weber kettle and keep the chicken directly (it’s actually semi-direct when using GG’s) over the lump charcoal fire for the duration of the grilling session. I typically cook chicken thighs. Yes I season and often sauce at the end, but just the drippings hitting the fire alone produce an incredible flavor to the bone every time. Not that roasted chicken isn’t good, but in my opinion, the flavor is so much better when grilling that I have pretty much lost interest in cooking chicken any other way.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #12
16Adams

Lightly season with Cavenders. Let sit. Spray with duck fat. Season liberally all over and under. Let sit. Spray with duck fat to seal the deal. Per cowgirl get under the skin with something

Old 02-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #13
Dmakkk
Take a breath!

you can also do a herb butter under the skin if desired as well as the rub. I like to spatchcock my chicken and put on toaster oven rack over a tin. In the tin i put chix stock with carrots, celery and onions and use that for a gravy or chix stock after.

https://cafedelites.com/garlic-herb-...roast-chicken/

Old 02-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #14
dadsr4

Just a different view. I just use something like the rub I posted under the skin, cook indirect on a kettle, and my chicken is not bland. No brine-wet or dry. A quick sear skin down if desired.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #15
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I use thirdeye's lite brine and the chicken is awesome Check out his blog I also cook thighs for flavor
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, recipes