ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
As this is my first (real) Father's Day, my wife and some friends conspired to break my Deep Sea Fishing cherry before we head back to the CONUS...

Saturday morning (at oh-dark-thirty) came early! The 45 minute drive down the East coast of Okinawa didn't help things... but the view at the docks was really nice as we loaded up the boat!

2016-07-02%2005.45.25_zpssha41zle.jpg

Our day of drift fishing was great... and despite the fact that I'm rather crispy... I had a great haul for a first trip: 3 x Yellowfin Tuna, 1 x Large Rainbow Runner, and 3 x Skipjack (aka Bonita).

IMG_1637_zps0le1vupk.jpg

A very nice Hawaiian Marine served as our deckhand, and filleted our fish upon return to port.

I decided to whip up a Hawai'ian Poke for lunch yesterday... really should've bookmarked the recipes... used a couple... dagnabbit.

IMG_1639_zpskmjoqmii.jpg

IMG_1642_zpsfsbu2xu9.jpg

IMG_1646_zpsueoa7vyn.jpg

I wanted a second go at some pork faux burnt ends... Tossed some nice cubed pork butt in some Plowboys Yardbird, then skewered 'em up for some time in the sauna over hickory.

2016-07-04%2012.10.59%20HDR-2_zpszae4u2qw.jpg

About 190F internal, I foiled the pork and hit 'em with some Jim's Own Sauce (Thanks, NCGrimbo!) for about... 90 minutes.

2016-07-04%2014.30.36-1_zpsrll01xfh.jpg

Meanwhile, I talked Momma into some St Louis Spares... hit with some John Henry's Apple Chipotle and a Texas Pete drizzle.

2016-07-04%2012.18.08_zpsbmunf5hf.jpg

The bones sure looked nice (and probed pretty nice) as I eased them into a warm oven for a rest.

2016-07-04%2016.41.15%20HDR-2_zpszmipfqt8.jpg

I won't bore you with my other adventures with all this awesome yellowfin tuna I all-of-a-sudden have on hand. The poke was pretty good, but today's carpaccio was ridiculously good (lemon juice, capers, S&P, and good quality EVOO).

Thanks for stopping by on your time off (hopefully) this weekend. Typhoon's headed this way in a couple of days. No rest for the weary.

Here's to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness!

Great day by the looks, food looks awesome as well.
Shelter down if the Typhoon hits

Everything looks great. Your tuna looks good wouldn't mind trying some. I went deep sea fishing down there once I caught a mahi mahi.

Food looks awesome. Poke is some delicious stuff, I can only imagine how awesome it tastes with a fish you caught yourself that same day!

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the kind words. It's been quite a lot of fun.

COS - First fish on the boat was a Mahi... feisty thing gave a pretty nice fight to the guy who nabbed it. Really pretty coloring.

Thankful to have a Family Day on Tuesday.

Planning to take our munchkin to the beach for her first time.

Kind regards...

Last edited:
Enjoy your day at the beach Marc!

Awesome food and I'm never bored by your adventures. :)

Looks like a great day SD. Thanks for what you do so that we can enjoy this day off!

You pay my salary, folks... I should be thanking you.

Momma and our Munchkin are eternally grateful for your support.

Terry, thanks so much for taking care of Dan and family. I wish we could lend a hand from out here... The Brethren Spirit is truly alive and well.

That's a nice haul there Josh. Glad you had a good time. :thumb: :thumb:

And I do love a good bowl of Poke. :thumb: :thumb:

Not that it really matter's, and maybe it's different there in Japan, but here in SoCal there is a difference between Skipjack and Bonita. What you caught I would ID as Skipjack. (Horizontal strips on the bottom back half of the body)
tuna_skipjack.png

What I know as Bonita would have horizontal strips on the top half of the body.
Bonito_Venice.Pier_2004_1_2.jpg

Again, maybe in Japan Skipjack are know as Bonita.

Last edited:
Wow that's awesome Marc!, I would have loved to be out there fishing with you for sure. What a great way to wind up your time in Japan.

Back