How many Dude's here can ?

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Canned Goods. Tomaters n Such. Not your Wife or Daughter but YOU. If'n I ever do a Garden (I say I am every Year but don't)- I'ma have to learn me some canning cuz me wife won't do it.

What do you can?

From your garden or does anyone buy at like a Farmers market and can it ?

anybody can brisket? ribs? :shock: Pickle eggs ?

Last edited:
We use excess to make sauces and jams that we bottle.
Plums , Pickle onions and jalapeño, Tomatoes.etc. etc

Last edited:
I know Cowgirl cans a lot. We freeze green beans via vac seal. For pickled eggs I would just do them as needed never long term. Eggs, jarred jalapenos maybe pepperchini little water and vinegar to taste. Wait a couple weeks then eat. I never put em in the fridge.

If you can I would HIGHLY recommend raised beds. We used some cocoa bean husks as a light mulch and had absolutely zero weed issues. I was amazed. We had them down on top of landscape fabric around the beds and big mistake. You can't use fabric then cocoa. So we pulled mulch and used on the beds and put cypress and fabriced ground :thumb:

I can can but i don't! However, if you can believe it I did learn to Can-Can while visiting Canada a few years back. I think my can-do attitude helped me master the steps.

I do. Usually tomato sauce, pickled peppers, stuffed peppers, beans, pickles. Don't get me wrong the wife helps a lot but most of our gardening is done by me. I've only ever canned our own food out of a necessity to preserve large harvests.

I can can but i don't! However, if you can believe it I did learn to Can-Can while visiting Canada a few years back. I think my can-do attitude helped me master the steps.

The last time I tried kicking that high was punting a football to my sons. I tried blasting it as to make them run for it. Much to my dismay I heard and felt a huge pop which turned out to be my hamstring :tape:

I have a garden but no canning skills. I keep telling myself I'm going to learn. Mom canned my whole childhood; I just never bothered to learn. Probably didn't think it was manly. Now I wish I knew how...

It’s been a few years since I have canned veggies from the garden. My wife told me what I was doing wrong but never helped!

I know you asked about the men folk on the forum... So I'll be brief.
I can what I raise, hunt and forage. It's nice to have shelf stable food in the cellar.
Just some ideas...
Cold smoked salmon..

https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2013/09/cold-smoking-and-canning-salmon-for.html

POSAXAO.jpg

YGTnKTy.jpg

fICIWc5.jpg

Venison stew..

https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2021/03/venison-stew.html

YWSaeny.jpg

2NrM6en.jpg

cold smoked butter... So many uses...

https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2021/03/cold-smoking-and-canning-butter.html

wP2mfdE.jpg

1tjNbaG.jpg

KxwdlEP.jpg

2e1LL58.jpg

The last batch of smoked chicken, sausage, andouille, tasso gumbo..

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294041

BBEaYvc.jpg

4P8isSg.jpg

I1mSZ4p.jpg

fsVTXfm.jpg

ibKAd9Z.jpg

I'm getting ready to put up more chicken and stock this weekend.

Heck, there are too many things to list, but everything from the garden gets canned.
So far this year I've canned..
Potatoes, sliced and whole.
Potatoes with green beans and ham.
A mixture I call creole squash. It's spiced up veggies that I serve over rice.
tomatoes
green tomatoes for frying
pickled green tomatoes
salsa
okra
corn
corn cob jelly
Chinese BBQ pork
Meatballs
Chicken with stock (for chicken and noodles, rice, etc..)
Chicken meat
Chicken soup ( can be used for spicy chicken tortilla soup, my favorite)
Several kinds of soup
Chorizo..

e3orF63.jpg

Makes a quick breakfast!

qeJ341V.jpg

Lots of Hatch chile sauce

qP0IMmB.jpg

Burger..

FP0v3rF.jpg

Bacon..

Qd7R6Ll.jpg

6dBm1Pv.jpg

BbwJsAT.jpg

Corned beef
Corned beef hash
Pickled pork
Sausage
Italian sausage
Shrimp
Grapes
Oranges

When I have excess BBQ, from a pig cook, I can the meat and sauce together.

That's all I can think of right now.

So much for keeping this post brief!! :laugh:

You need to get a pressure canner and good book Smitty.

Many years ago (late 80’s-early 90’s) WE canned tomatoes for several years when we lived in the CA Central Valley.

We BOTH did every step. Don’t know if that counts.

I miss home grown Tomatoes……

I've done some pickles using sous vide.
It is my new pickling method.
140* for 2.5 hrs.
140* vs. 212* keeps the pickles nice and crisp.

NOTE: This is pickling only, not canning. pH has to be lower than 4.6
The acid keeps it safe. A higher pH can lead to botulism.

My wife and I learned to can our garden produce 30+ years ago.
Most of our knowledge came from her Mom and Grandmothers. In addition we learned lots from the Ball Blue Book. Many recipes and tons of food safety advice. I haven't used the pressure cooker for 20 years or so.

Since Lena passed in April It's all about me and what I learned working with her. Although she would not process hot peppers for anything. Sometimes she would even leave the house when I did.

Lately I've dived into fermenting. One of the oldest known food preservation methods around.

Deb has some good info on her site.
https://www.deejayssmokepit.net/

And of course Jeanie has tons of info scattered all around the internet.

Remember that food safety when canning is most important.
Nobody ever gets botulism twice.

I've done it, don't anymore, got enough work to do,,
Now I only grow things that store themselves, onions, squash, carrots, etc.
If you buy canned goods right, it's cheap...However, cheap might be a thing of the past.....

Heck yes I can. Have two pressure canners. One I bought years ago and my wife's grandmother's. I smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving. The bones, wing tips and such are made into a stock. I can the stock along with enough of the leftover meat to make several cornbread dressings. When I have an abundance of wild game or fish... I can it... some anyways. A lot gets used as fresh or frozen but catch several large tuna and you'll appreciate the canned meat later. My family won't eat store bought tuna anymore. They claim it's cat food. Have also canned wahoo. Canned venison used in chili was responsible for my wife starting to eat venison. She liked my chili better than hers and asked why mine was different. A variety of canned food that one can use as a starting point for a meal is a great convenience. It can also be a part of emergency prep.

If you can I would HIGHLY recommend raised beds. We used some cocoa bean husks as a light mulch and had absolutely zero weed issues. I was amazed. We had them down on top of landscape fabric around the beds and big mistake. You can't use fabric then cocoa. So we pulled mulch and used on the beds and put cypress and fabriced ground :thumb:

I wanna do a fish poop garden.

Cowgirl - I knew you canned. Seen It on here and your blog/page. I’m Sure you grew up doing it with family. When you start up “Cowgirls Country Cooking Classes” I’m in for a canning session too. :heh:

I asked about Dudes on Here cuz if some of them can do it, anybody could. :grin:

What if you don’t have a cellar or basement -where do you store it? Extra refridgerator ?

Properly canned foods are shelf stable and can be stored anywhere (out of direct sunlight).
Fermented foods need stored below 50 degrees which means in the fridge in my world.

Back