MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
chefdad
Knows what a fatty is.

Default New to bbq catering, any helpful advice for starting out?

I have prepared pulled pork for several family parties and fundraisers at church. Family and friends have encouraged me to start a catering business. I do not want to go over board, start small and see where it goes. However, that plan can change.
Any advice or things to stay away from, would be helpful. I have been cooking on a 22.5 WSM, and thinking of buying another smoker.

Is there any certification or license I may need? I live in Ohio.
Pricing? What do you charge per pound. I have read on the forum, $8-10 for a pound of cook pulled pork. Is this the same for chicken and brisket?

I know I have a lot to learn and you are the best. Thanks for your time and advice!

Last edited by chefdad; 11-23-2012 at 05:20 PM..
chefdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Why does everyone who can cook a butt want to get into catering?

Cook for your friends and family for a couple of years and then if you still want to be a caterer (doubtful) you will have a good idea of what needs to be done.

Not rude, just honest brother. ;)
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
gtr

If I were you I'd spend a good deal of time reading threads on this catering forum - very valuable info here, some of which may or may not lead you to change your mind - depends on how bad you want to get into it.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Contact your local health dept. They will get you started in the right direction as far as any licenses that you might need.
In regards to pricing, the general rule of thumb is 3 times your costs. In other words if it costs you $1.50 to produce a pulled pork sandwich then you turn around and sell it for $4.50. You can adjust your prices from there. Equipment is going to be a thorn in your side during the beginning. You will be amazed at all of the little things that you need, but don't have.
I'm sure it is a requirement in OH, shop around for insurance quotes. I would think to expect around $500-700/yr easily.
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post

Cook for your friends and family for a couple of years and then if you still want to be a caterer (doubtful) you will have a good idea of what needs to be done.

We were, where he is, lol!

Bubba's context is right though, there is a lot more involved than we all think at the beginning stages. I bet approximately 1 in 50 who start in the business, actually stick it out due to harder work than anticipated, lack of customers and resources, etc.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
chefdad
Knows what a fatty is.

No problem Bubba! I need a glimpse of reality. Several friends and family members have suggested it. So, I am only looking into it. I knew before I posted the thread, that I would receive a honest reply back.

I have been cooking for friends and family for a while. Not only pulled pork. I can cook chicken ribs and working on brisket. I also, have a pretty good rub and sauce. So, I am just looking into it and see if it would be worth while. Thanks for your honesty and advice.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Big Ace
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdad View Post
I have prepared pulled pork for several family parties and fundraisers at church. Family and friends have encouraged me to start a catering business.
One thing I learned, is that, EVERYBODY loves your food when its free or at cost. Ask them to pay full pop(around here $13pp for a catering gig) and then see what they say. Hope that helps.
Big Ace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
kadQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Big ace has a point, I started at the beginning of this year with my first smoker (backwoods) and a few people trying it, Then I catered a friends of mine daughters graduation party, Then it grew to a few parties. I just charged cost plus 20% and already have a few dates tentatively book for next year but depends on the price I charge. a few folks already have qoutes from a couple of bbq cater's that is my biggest hurddle to overcome I don't know how to get my cost down knowing my q blows the others out of the water "so I've been told". My way of thinking is if mine is so much better then the others the cost's aught to reflect that. I know folks will shop around and the cheaper product most always win.

I've never considered catering just seeing what happens. Love the Q!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Work your way to it. Pull some temporary permits and vend some festivals and see how you like the log hours and consider it will be that way most every weekend catering. If you still want it then go for it. You can talk to the health dept when you pull temp festival permits about what is needed to cater.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Most businessess fail because they don't know business or marketing. If you have a junior college near you check to see if they have hospitality classes. In my area we have great classes in catering, cost of goods etc. to become a qualified chef. Take a Serv-Safe course, contact Health Dept and look around for good used equipment. One or two WSM's won't work because you can't cook enough to make a profit. Check out licenses in your county, check out commercial commissary/kitchens and insurance. If you're in for an ounce your are in for a pound. Once you charge the game changes, it will take you a few years to break even if ever.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
chefdad
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will look further into it and we will see what happens.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post

I have been catering and vending for three years now, and it is the most fun I have ever had in my life. (and I've had some pretty serious fun!)

I wouldn't trade it or leave it for anything, and I'd almost do it for free. (not really, but just making the point of how much I love what i do)

BUT: I did just what Bubba said for about three or four years before I got into it. I also had a mentor that I owe all my success to, and to this day I can text him anytime and he will get back to me within minutes.
Also my first gig, was a vending event, I served 700 people and thought I was on top of the world. I spent the profits on another smoker. (my wife wasn't happy) IT was the only event I did that year. I wanted to let it soak in, and master what I had learned both success and mistakes. The next year I did probably 12 events, this past year I am up to 30 events. I am happy, it grows slowly and that is how I want it to grow. I want a masterpiece before I throw the doors open.
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
Bigmista

Invest in a very comfortable pair of shoes because you will be on your feet for long hours. No more of that put some meat on and have a beer. There is no time for that once you do it as a business. There is always something to do. And find someone to do the business side for you. Paperwork, marketing, taxes, insurance, permits...all of that can steal your joy if you don't have someone to handle it for you.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Invest in a very comfortable pair of shoes because you will be on your feet for long hours. No more of that put some meat on and have a beer. There is no time for that once you do it as a business. There is always something to do. And find someone to do the business side for you. Paperwork, marketing, taxes, insurance, permits...all of that can steal your joy if you don't have someone to handle it for you.

I agree with you, good shoes are a must.

I was never a put it on and go have a beer guy anyway. I was always a put it on, and then go do some research about what else I can cook.

Whether it is cooking the meat, or getting the beans or slaw ready, I love it all. It is more about being around the atmosphere than just being around the pit. I don't love all the business side, but because it is my business I do enjoy it. With marketing, and paperwork and all also comes all the compliments. It is a hell of a compliment to us when we get asked to vend an occasion that may be six hours away just because they have had a few request from people that have eaten our BBQ before. That is the business side that is rewarding.
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
chad

"catering" with a WSM is more like "personal chef'ing". To paraphrased "Jaws": You're gonna need a bigger boat (cooker).
I don't cater now but when I did I used the heck out of my Kingfisher stickburner to turn out port for 200-400 and ribs, brisket, chicken, etc. for Superbowl parties, smaller church functions, business holiday parties, birthday parties, etc. I can't imagine trying to go bit without the proper equipment.
Also, simple things like tongs, aprons, chafing pans/stands, gallons of rub and sauce, TIME (never enough), dealing with weather and customer personalities...it's indeed a job. As was said earlier: check out how many friends and family will pay what your work is worth - and always, always, always, get enough deposit to pay for any up front costs before you start. Cash the check at the customer's bank - do not deposit to your account and then find out it bounced! It'll ruin your day and credit rating.
Good luck! It's fun but REAL HARD WORK!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote