MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Default 22.5 wsm

Anyone here use a 22.5 WSM with a Guru/Stoker regularly for competition? I was thinking about picking up a Backwoods Party to augment my Lang 60 for big meats during the night, but after a little thought, the WSM is 1/3rd the cost, and should work well with a draft controller. Any major reasons why this wouldn't work or be practical?
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
OneBallBiscuit
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have the 22.5 with the PartyQ...so far, so good...
OneBallBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
jketron
Full Fledged Farker

I have not competed yet but I use that set up
Backwoods Party G2, WSM 18/22
Grill of His Dreams #1 Rule of BBQ... Have fun :razz:
jketron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Still Smokin
Full Fledged Farker

I compete with a 22.5 WSM and 2 18.5 WSM's. I do not use any temp controller, WSM's hold a consistant temp. I get 10+ hours cook time and the temp seldom varies once I get it dialed in.

Temp controllers are nice and I am sure that they help get ma burn time but I just can't afford them.
Still Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

If you want to run a 22 with a guru or a stoker you need to get the 10cfm fan. The 5 just runs all the time to keep up. If the fan runs all the time you get weird heat patterns in the WSMs and they dont cook even.

The 22 gives you a ton more space so you can cook a nice brisket or a couple of slabs of ribs without scrunching everything up.

The 22 also eats through fuel. Not nearly as miserly with the charcoal as the 18 is. I do recommend either a water heater wrap or a wind break of some kind if it is cold/windy...
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

also you are welcome to stop by kudzu Q next contest and talk webers. Terre and I both have a lot of experience with them.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
wickedbbq'r
Full Fledged Farker

I have not found a need for a temp. control device for my wsms. Very easy to dial in and let it rock. I have not found outside temp. to be an issue, it's wind. Depends on when and where you are competing, because if it's really cold with a lot of wind your going to have trouble. Sometimes a couple of walls on your canopy will do the trick. I have been looking at the Backwoods G2 Chubby just for the overnight cook. You can fit full size pans in the G2, where in the standard Party you can not.
Meadow Creek TS120P
1-22" WSM
1-22" Weber Performer
wickedbbq'r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Make sure you use the damper on the fan to squeeze it down a notch. And you can use water in the pan, despite being told not to (by at least the BBQ Guru folks). I think you will see a smoother-running fan and fire by using water.

What you don't want to do is fill that 3-gallon water pan up slap full with cold water and 1/2 chimney of coals dumped on top of a full charcoal ring of dry charcoal. You will burn through some charcoal getting that 3 gallons of water heated up.

I would add a decent amount of lit charcoal and maybe a gallon of water. Assemble the cooker and hook the fan up and let it run. When it calms down, add more water. Do this in stages. I would say when you have a smoker to temp with nearly a full pan of water, load in more charcoal and you'll be set for 6-8 hours.

Sounds like a lot of work but it's not.

And the 22" WSMs do burn some fuel, but they can cook roughly twice the meat of an 18".

With all that said....I don't mind letting it run naked. I have found that unless it is 18-25°F outside, there's not much problem with getting one to run at 250°F as long as you use water.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

I cook it all on a 22.5 without a guru (or similar device) works fine. Two butts and a brisket till wrapped then on with 3 racks of ribs. When big meats go into cambro put chicken on WSM. Nuff said. keith

Old 02-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbbq'r View Post
I have not found a need for a temp. control device for my wsms. Very easy to dial in and let it rock. I have not found outside temp. to be an issue, it's wind. Depends on when and where you are competing, because if it's really cold with a lot of wind your going to have trouble. Sometimes a couple of walls on your canopy will do the trick. I have been looking at the Backwoods G2 Chubby just for the overnight cook. You can fit full size pans in the G2, where in the standard Party you can not.
I looked at the G2, but two things are making me think otherwise... 1. Price. 2. Weight

Uncle Bud just bought a G2 Party, and he says that it is all he can do to load it by himself. I like the idea of the WSM, as I can just throw it in the back of a truck or my Explorer when by myself, which is pretty often.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha

Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I have competed with Smo' Q using the 22.5" WSM. I also use one at home. Works well.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

We have three 22s and one 18 for comps and use Auber controllers. Set and forget. If I need to, I can load the trailer by myself. Couldn't do that if we used big heavy cookers.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
We have three 22s and one 18 for comps and use Auber controllers. Set and forget. If I need to, I can load the trailer by myself. Couldn't do that if we used big heavy cookers.
Looking at your avatar, I had to laugh, as I just got back from Springfield Tuesday afternoon. If I had taken the time, I could have tried to hookup and look at your rigs!
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha

Old 02-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Atlasman
Full Fledged Farker

WSM 22.5 with a PartyQ here.

No complaints...........cooks great food. Took 6th in ribs at my first comp ever with this unit.
Atlasman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Yes, our comp set up was WSM 22s and 18 run by stokers.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote