MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:07 AM   #1
TOMMYD902688
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Tom
Default Second brisket attempt

Happy 4th!!! First I'd like to say I'm sorry for basically joining, introducing myself, and then vanishing for like 3 weeks. Work and more work and life and family...ya know? Anyway about 3 weeks or so ago I tried my very first brisket. And failed miserably right at the finish line. I have studied brisket for years and was determined this was it. Did everything right. Sarted my cooker at 10 p.m. on a Saturday night, brought up to 275 and let stabilize there till 11. Put my beautiful brisket in all trimmed up nice nice. Then proceeded to go out and check on things every 2 hours till morning. Everything going well. Around 170 internal temp I wrapped in butcher paper. Then it all went down hill. I waited around doing small tasks around the house as the temp slowly rised. 178. Needed a cooler so went to parents house to grab a cooler. Got stuck there for much longer than intended. Get back to the house around 10 a.m. ish. Temp up to 187. I probed it and it didn't feel quite right yet. Around this time the misses and I decided today would be a good day for smoked mac and cheese! I figured temp is coming up rather slow, we got time. So we gather the things for that and get it going. By now It's maybe around 11-11:30. Temp is up to 200. But I probe and something doesn't feel right so I ask Amber (my better half) to give her a poke. She says too tough. So we throw the mac in and let it go longer. Now I'm nervous. I go work around the house a bit and when I come back.....230 degrees!! I pull it out and unwrap and cut the point off and everything feels super tender and juices are coming out. I think maybe I'm ok. I prepare the burnt ends and wrap the flat and throw it in the cooler. Well now cooking the burnt ends and the mac and cheese, that puppy sits in that cooler for 3 hours. I've read on here some people rest for over 4 so although I'm nervous as h*** I tell myself its ok. Well, after it was all said and done I cut my brisket.....dry as all h*** and breaking into a million little crumbles. I just about cry. All that time and work ruined and as it turned out all that time i was poking and prodding. I wasn't getting that nice "feel" cuz I was going through 2 layers of thick butcher paper.....ugh.
TOMMYD902688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-04-2020, 08:10 AM   #2
TOMMYD902688
Found some matches.

Well this time around I followed my original process because I really do think I was on the right track. This time however I am not taking on any tasks, visiting any family, going to any stores, or doing ANYTHING until my baby is done and delicious. Lessons learned the hard way. Right now the brisket is wrapped and temp is up to 181 so it's looking like maybe an early lunch? We shall see. Wish me luck guys and girls! Try number 2!! I will post some picks later on.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #3
TC Smoke & Que
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Tom, Welcome to the site!! Understand the situation but you found your way back.
I cant tell you how many Briskets I messed up in the beginning, and sometimes still have those cooks that just do not go as planned.
But that is the way it goes, we can only keep trying and hope to achieve that perfect cook.
I keep a log of each cook and use that as reference for future cooks so I dont make the same mistakes.
The biggest varible will always be the individual cut at the time we are cooking.
Good Luck and look forward to the pics.
TC Smoke & Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
JVM59
Full Fledged Farker

No doubt in my mind that you're going to have a fantastic cook!
Happy 4th!
JVM59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
TOMMYD902688
Found some matches.

Thanks guys. I'm gettin all kinds of screwy here the suspence is killing me! Temp is slowly creepin up to 188 now.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hang in there tiger, your on a correct path. It will work.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
JEStucker
Full Fledged Farker

Location: That one particular harbor, So far, but yet so near
Name/Nickname : Jeff

some days it's just a $h*tty cow...
you can do everything right with the cook, but sometimes it's just not a good brisket. I've had it happen on occasion and believe me, it sucks (still use it for soups, beans, and plenty of other things)

Brisket is hard to dial in and isn't nearly as forgiving as we would hope, but you're on the right track, and you're talking about it here. The people here know their cooking and know their meat, if there's advice to be given, they WILL have it.

Best of luck, I'm sure you're on track for a great cook!

Old 07-04-2020, 11:15 AM   #8
BBQscott
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

For me even a overcooked brisket is still a delicious treat! I'm glad you are trying again because the only way to get a better at brisket is to keep on cooking them! I'm jealous as all hell that a lot of brethren have briskets too cook! Out here in Cali I haven't seen a brisket in over a month :(. Happy 4th and show us some pictures if you can!

Old 07-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
TOMMYD902688
Found some matches.

Ok everyone. I promised pictures and here they are. Overall much happier than my last attempt but somethings still not quite right with the flat. Try, try again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg part0(17).jpg (27.5 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 20200703_193216.jpg (39.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 20200614_070541.jpg (40.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 20200704_104133.jpg (56.4 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 20200704_105217.jpg (47.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 20200704_113601.jpg (100.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 20200704_113608.jpg (62.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 20200704_114134.jpg (58.0 KB, 103 views)

Old 07-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #10
BBQscott
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Looks really good, what temp did it probe tender at?

Old 07-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #11
TOMMYD902688
Found some matches.

I ended up with 198 when i pulled it. Thing is tho after it rest for about an hour it seemed tougher than when i took it out. Had good flavor and was juicy enough but seemed like it had just a bit too much chew.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #12
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMYD902688 View Post
I ended up with 198 when i pulled it. Thing is tho after it rest for about an hour it seemed tougher than when i took it out. Had good flavor and was juicy enough but seemed like it had just a bit too much chew.
That is a cook that a lot of folks would be proud of. Just an observation...don't focus so much on the temp, but rather the probe feel. It is an easy trap to fall into, but I think if you polled 100 expert brisket cooks 90 of em would prefer to feel the probe go in than to know the internal temp.

Good cook. Everyone cooks different, but after many cooks with the flat not being "perfect" as you described, I tried cooking it less and holding it in a hot hold for an extended period..the very first time I tried it I had that magical brisket experience.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #13
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

It looks pretty tasty! You will be your own worst critique. It wont go perfectly everytime. I am the person who would stay around an egg that was frying to make sure it turned out perfect...don't do it! It will all work out.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #14
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

It looks pretty tasty! You will be your own worst critique. It wont go perfectly everytime. I am the person who would stay around an egg that was frying to make sure it turned out perfect...don't do it! It will all work out.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:54 PM   #15
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Looks like you did just fine