4th Of July. 1st Steak Cooked On The New Pellet Smoker

Chett. L

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I want thank everyone that helped give me pointers for the first time cooking my 1st Steak using the new pellet smoker, Traeger Ranger.

I first put the R Butts Meat rub for an hour to sweat the Rib Eye meat.

Cooked at 225 degrees for an hour. Had issues with the temp prob. Need to call the factory.

After an hour at 225, took the meat out to rest for 10 minutes, put both steak in the cooler while I got the smoker up to 425 degrees to reverse seared.

425 degrees was too hot I think because this is a small grill and it gets hot. Took the heat down to 375 degrees, then 325 for around another 45 minutes.

Took the steak off and added some garlic butter mixed with a dash of salt. Let the steak cool down for 10 minutes before eating.

My wife and son liked the steak and flavor and rub. Only complaint, slightly over cooked.

Any suggestions for next time would be appreciated.

Thank you all again. I give all the credit to the smoker, good quality meat and good rub seasoning.

Attachments

• STAKE 1.jpg
    STAKE 1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 302
  • STAKE 2.jpg
    STAKE 2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 303
  • STAKE 3.jpg
    STAKE 3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 300
  • STAKE 4.jpg
    STAKE 4.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 298
  • STAKE 5.jpg
    STAKE 5.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 298
  • STAKE 6.jpg
    STAKE 6.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 297
  • Steak 7.jpg
    Steak 7.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 301
looks good to me!!!!

Hi Mike,

Yea, I like my meat a little more on the well side the way it turned out. The meat was very tender with great flavor. I need to learn how to control the temperature learn about the cook times.

Thank you.

looks good to me!!!!

Hi Mike,

Yea, I like my meat a little more on the well side the way it turned out. The meat was very tender with great flavor. I need to learn how to control the temperature and learn about cook times for this smoker.

Thank you.

Steaks look good !

Chett, IMnotalwaysHO, it sounds like you cooked too long on high. The only reason you use the high heat for reverse sear, is to put a "burn" on the outside to finish up, and that should only be for a minute or two at the most on each side. If you cooked high for 45 minutes, you would have cooked a raw steak too far. Next time, just keep the higher heat going. I think some guys use Grill Grates to sear food on a pellet grill because they hold that hot heat for a while.

If you like the steak med well then cook it until the internal temp of 148-150 (after you figure out your thermomter), then throw on for a sear.

Last edited:
I have a Treager and really like it. I have always considered it a smoker and not a grill. You went to a lot of work to put a steak on the table. For me it's ribs bacon and pork butts on the smoker and the little Weber for steaks.

A 1" or so steak cook on a high heat I like the grill grates as I can get the temp up and it gives it a good sear One side will give you great grill marks Flip them over and you make it looked like it was cooked in cast iron skillet Your steak looks good

smoker

Hi Mike,

Yea, I like my meat a little more on the well side the way it turned out. The meat was very tender with great flavor. I need to learn how to control the temperature learn about the cook times.

Thank you.

Tender and flavor is the word. Time and practice. Cook it the way you like it, but do try a little less done. You'll notice a big difference in T&F. Try reverse sear or grill grates as mentioned. or lower temp to start then crank it for the final sear..... or sear it first then indirect it until it's to your liking. Thickness matters as you cook different thicknesses different. Have fun ....(I'm sure you know most of this already)

Chett, IMnotalwaysHO, it sounds like you cooked too long on high. The only reason you use the high heat for reverse sear, is to put a "burn" on the outside to finish up, and that should only be for a minute or two at the most on each side. If you cooked high for 45 minutes, you would have cooked a raw steak too far. Next time, just keep the higher heat going. I think some guys use Grill Grates to sear food on a pellet grill because they hold that hot heat for a while.

If you like the steak med well then cook it until the internal temp of 148-150 (after you figure out your thermomter), then throw on for a sear.

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your help. I will do this next time. I will order the grill grates.

You are definitely on the right track Chett smoking it for an hour around 225. But the reverse searing is only for a few minutes a side to just char the outside of the steak real quick. If you want a cheap way to reverse sear, you can order a wide half size charcoal basket, light it up and put a grill grate on top and let it heat up for 40mins and you will have a very hot fire to sear on. Search the forums and I bet you can see some images of people who have done it here! Cheers.

Agree, the sear was WAY too long - and 425 is not too hot at all - could go higher even.
But like others said, only for a minute, 2 max per side.
Still I bet they tasted fantastic.

What was your goal here? Well done? Medium? Juicy? Dry? This looks like an extremely well done and overcooked steak. But if that is what you were going for, then let’r Rip. As long as you enjoy it.

Hi Jeremy,

The goal was medium or medium +. So next time I cook steaks at 225, in your opinion how long can I go at 225 temp before going up to 425 for a few minutes each side.

Thank you.

What was your goal here? Well done? Medium? Juicy? Dry? This looks like an extremely well done and overcooked steak. But if that is what you were going for, then let’r Rip. As long as you enjoy it.

The goal was medium or medium +. So next time I cook steaks at 225, in your opinion how long can I go at 225 temp before going up to 425 for a few minutes each side. Would like to also say the we all tasted the nice smoke from the smoker which was really coming off a gas grill.

Thank you.

The goal was medium or medium +. So next time I cook steaks at 225, in your opinion how long can I go at 225 temp before going up to 425 for a few minutes each side. Would like to also say the we all tasted the nice smoke from the smoker which was really coming off a gas grill.

Thank you.
I'm confused. Did you cook these on a pellet cooker or gas grill? Or did you smoke on a pellet cooker and sear on a gas grill?

Thank you Jeanie.

Nice to meet you on T.B.B.

Congratulations on the new cooker.

Back