somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Home made crumpet is fantastic

Played in the kitchen

Vonnies a grubby eater.

Made some bread rolls to have with our cold lamb
Potatoes scallops, cheese tomatoes lettuce and lamb

Thanks for looking

That looks good, Titch. Those look like yeast rolls. My daughter and I love those. We have a restaurant nearby that serves them as appetizers, often we get a second round to go home with us. Would you care to share the recipe and any tips you can to get them to rise like that? I usually fail miserably at that part. Thanks.

Very good looking meal and rolls. So are the crumpets like english muffins? The whole family is ready to pull up a chair :-D

Mate you're a champion!
Those Crumpets (IMO) are only missing one thing, Vegemite ... :-D

We grew up on these dishes. The home-baked roll is truly outstanding. I know this post is about the baking, but as an aside, 60 years ago, a common way of using up Sunday roast (leg of lamb) during the week was to grease a dish with butter and garlic, scallop potatoes (julienne them) and put layers in a dish with layers of meat, onion and cheese, top with cheese and pour cream over it to about half way, cooking 360F for 50 mins. Secret is not too much meat; with the cream absorbed into the potatoes, my goodness.

Oh Titch, you’ve done it again.

P.S. Many houses couldn’t afford lamb, so had hogget or mutton, progressively cheaper, older, tougher and tastier cuts. To this day I would say that Australian hogget is the tastiest (not tenderest necessarily) sheep to eat.

I'll probably get this wrong, but if I recall, crumpets are made with a milk batter where English muffins are made with a dough. I don't think crumpets are split like English muffins either.

Correct, the texture is entirely different too. English muffins are immediately discernable as a baked product, crumpets are a pan-cooked product, whose main characteristic is the vertical holes that soak up butter and jam to turn the crumpet into a squidgy mass of sweet mush - perfect comfort food. I would think every supermarket and most corner stores would carry both muffins and crumpets in Australia and New Zealand.

Titch is an inspirational cook, these are photos worthy of the national archive. He deserves to get his own radio show, like Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers.

The triumph of the ordinary!!!

That whole spread looks great! I just learned what a crumpet is too. Thanks for sharing!

Correct, the texture is entirely different too. English muffins are immediately discernable as a baked product, crumpets are a pan-cooked product, whose main characteristic is the vertical holes that soak up butter and jam to turn the crumpet into a squidgy mass of sweet mush - perfect comfort food. I would think every supermarket and most corner stores would carry both muffins and crumpets in Australia and New Zealand.

Titch is an inspirational cook, these are photos worthy of the national archive. He deserves to get his own radio show, like Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers.

The triumph of the ordinary!!!

Ok I am sold on crumpets. You could make your description into a commercial.

Crumpets...only heard of them...never seen em. They looks delicious!

So much goodness. I like everything. Great stuff Titch!

Back