Oklahoma Onion Burgers

I've not been to Tuckers, nor bought an onion burger in a while. We got a little joint on this side of town called Old Time Diner that makes a good onion burger.

But yours look better.

Kosmos Q worked in an onion burger joint in El Reno, when he was in high school, here's his version, and oh yeah, the mandolin onion slicer he recommends is a good one.

https://youtu.be/WHDVxnBQ8xA
Couldn't find the amazon link to that slicer.

This is the slicer I have. Sharp as hell, four different thicknesses to choose from.

https://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Borner-Power-Mandoline-V-7000/dp/B003DZ0BRG/
Looks quality and multi-functional.

Now considering a better mandolin. The cheapo I got at BB&B scares the hell out of me. Feel like I could end up in the ER anytime I use it.

Kinda like this one on Amazon with the container and protective glove.

Hey Andy that looks delicious and a bit messy which for some reason makes it even better

Dayum Andy! That looks so decadent. I spent 4 hrs today making pico, guac, and marinade for short ribs tomorrow (I know, you don't want me working in your restaurant). But I'd throw all that out for some of that!

Funny about the onion liquid. For the marinade I was making it called for minced garlic, onion, and ginger so I used the fine side of the shredder. Called for 2 Tbsp of onion so I grabbed an onion and used the fine side of the shredder. Half way through the rather large onion I still didn't have 2 Tbsp, it was all turning to liquid, lol.

I recently found an article/blog/post something recently that said if you salt the onions and let them drain for an hour or so, the onions will crisp up/brown up much better than if you didn't. And after trying it for the first time, I'd say it's true. My previous attempts were sautéed onions. This time around, crisp brown, crunchy onions, just like I had in OK.

Andy,

This was a fantastic cook thread for your throwdown entry(s)! Loved that you showed the pic from the ads vs the real life!

Great looking burgers!

Thanks Andy for the step-by-step. This will definitely be cooked in the near future. Looks delicious!

2 oz? Must be a typo. Beautiful burgers!

Only had 1lb of ground beef. Usually go around 2.5 - 3oz. since I do doubles and usually have two of them. You don't want thick burgers. Double or triple em up. That way you get more delicious crispy onions.

Last edited:
Back