MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:41 AM   #1
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc
Default Pacific Pr0N - Spares, Fatties, and Sides

Had the opportunity to cook a meal for a squadron family who just welcomed a newborn to the clan. Figured we'd just have the same thing and "do it right."

Grabbed a couple racks of spares, trimmed them down to St Louis spares, and froze the trimmings/tips for future use. Hit our own rack with Wicken Yanks Original rub and used Bone Suckin' Sauce Rub (Steak variety) on the to-go meal. (Thanks to NCGrimbo for the BSS-S rub. I'm pretty impressed with this one.)

Of course, I had to fire up a couple of fatties. Giving away a Jimmy Dean Maple chub with Plowboys Yardbird. I kept the Jimmy Dean Hot chub that I coated in John Henry's Chipotle Apple rub. (A great find in a local hardware store in Suffolk, VA). That's breakfast in/for a few days.

I ran the smoker through a ridiculous deluge so hard that I felt like I needed to swim to/from the smoker just 4ft from our door. 250-300F over hickory for a good 4 hours. I didn't wrap the bones, and they had a nice little caramelization 'round the outside in places.

We whipped up the best darned collard greens recipe that I've ever had (thanks, Mom) with the use of the slow cooker.

Momma also whipped up her usual killer batch of baked beans and even made some gluten-free molasses cornbread!

Y'all have a wonderful weekend.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

That is one fine looking plate of food Marc.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-11-2016, 06:03 AM   #3
Bigr314
Babbling Farker

Very nice lookin cook. Nice color on the ribs. Great job.
Shirley Fabrication 24x50 RF with warmer(Boss Hogg)

Tab Benoit- Must listen to this artist. A cross between southern blues,Stevie Ray, and Louisiana cajun. Great listening while having a brew and tending the stick burner.
Bigr314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

As always brother your cook is stellar. What's the chances of getting the recipe for that molasses cornbread? That has my name written on it big time.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2016, 06:32 AM   #5
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez59 View Post
As always brother your cook is stellar. What's the chances of getting the recipe for that molasses cornbread? That has my name written on it big time.
Happy I could provide some entertainment while you sip a cuppa (assumption on my part) on a Saturday morning.

Here's a link to the recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/grandmas-...rnbread-263676

Momma used Pamela's Gluten Free Flour in place of the regular flour... and I've gotta say that I really couldn't tell that this was "our" loaf vs. the loaf to deliver!

Momma said that she thinks this could stand a bit more salt in the recipe or at least use some salted butter. Man, it was good.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:48 AM   #6
speed2486
is one Smokin' Farker

That grub looks great!
speed2486 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #7
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Very nice man! Congratulations to your squadron mate on the new baby!
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2016, 06:55 AM   #8
Mark-o
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Man that looks good. I think I just drooled on my laptop a little.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #9
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Great lookin ribbage!
A little rain aint gonna stop us now is it...

Old 06-11-2016, 07:13 AM   #10
ShadowDriver

Thanks to all of you. Apologies for not including quotes along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
A little rain aint gonna stop us now is it...
This was the first time I've ever brought out an umbrella to shield the meat from the rain while using the toothpick method for doneness... and again when I pulled 'em to take inside.

I took off my Birkenstocks, as there was a solid inch+ of water waiting to drain from around my door/smoker with plenty coming down off the roof.

*chuckle*
I considered throwing on my SCUBA gear for safety's sake.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:46 AM   #11
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

That is def good eats!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2016, 07:47 AM   #12
Fwismoker

You know I'd pull up a plate, Way to step up Marc!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #13
Smoking Piney

Name/Nickname : John

Excellent looking plate!

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #14
cheez59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
Happy I could provide some entertainment while you sip a cuppa (assumption on my part) on a Saturday morning.

Here's a link to the recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/grandmas-...rnbread-263676

Momma used Pamela's Gluten Free Flour in place of the regular flour... and I've gotta say that I really couldn't tell that this was "our" loaf vs. the loaf to deliver!

Momma said that she thinks this could stand a bit more salt in the recipe or at least use some salted butter. Man, it was good.
It's not just entertainment my friend. Your posts are as informative as they are entertaining. Nothing wrong with learning with a smile.
Your cuppa assumption is exactly correct. First thing I do when I walk downstairs every single day. Throw in a K cup and push the button.
Thanks for the recipe. I'll pass it along to Ms Gwen who will make it very soon. She will sub the molasses with some Tennessee mountain sorghum though. It is very close to molasses.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #15
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez59 View Post
Thanks for the recipe. I'll pass it along to Ms Gwen who will make it very soon. She will sub the molasses with some Tennessee mountain sorghum though. It is very close to molasses.
You are most welcome. Would be very interested in learning how that turns out. Have only had sorghum once or twice... but never in cornbread like this. I'll bet it's really tasty.

Kind regards to you both.

Tags
Baked Beans, collard greens, cornbread, fatty, John Henry, Plowboys rub, spare ribs, Wicken Yanks