THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your fav burger weight?

• 1/4 lb.

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • 1/3 lb.

Votes: 53 51.0%
  • 1/2 lb.

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • other

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1/4 lb here. I like small smash burgers and bigger reverse seared or grilled burgers.

When going on a bun I like them at 5 ounces raw weight. But... I'm a sucker for a good hamburger (or pork) steak, in which case I make them ob-round and 3/4" thick, the weight is 7 to 8 ounces.

Size of bun matters ....Fat content matters as well...80/20....I grind my own and it may be a tad more fatty...6 oz pattys are perfect for the larger bakery buns we buy. Cheap white buns I'll use a smaller patty. Meat to bun ratio is veryi mportant.

I like multiple thinner patty's for maximum char/caramelization with melted cheese between each patty and on top to keep the bacon in place.

Depends...
Smashburgers- 2oz ball. but have to be eaten as double burger

burgers on gas grill- 1/4 lbs (if I'm using gas, it's for a party and I'm prolly cooking 20+ burgers I pre formed in a 1/4 press)

burgers on charcoal- 1/4 lb to 1/2 lb- hand formed, depends on bun, toppings, who's eating

I go with the double 2oz patty smash burger most of the time these days. I avoid anything bigger than 1/3 lb since the taste payoff generally isn't worth the feeling like crap afterwards.

I do 1/4 pounders.

I have a burger press, patty papers, and put up a big package in pound portions. Then freeze the patties and vacuum seal for the freezer.
I actually weigh the meat before pressing, and have my press set to make a nice 1/4 pound patty.
I don't Pre-Season. That way the meat is virgin for any dish.

Need a pound? Grab a bag.
Need a half pound? Split off two patties.
Want a double quarter pounder with cheese? No futzing around.

Of course, everybody do your own thang. :wink:
This is mine.

I never go by weight. I like good meat to bun ratio: bun diameter = cooked patty diameter. Look at the bun, press them -pretty thin -to size and allow for some shrinkage. Some things should not be overthought... this is one of them.

Back