Flat Top Japchae

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
G'Day Bruces! :becky:

Well, as most of you know I'm limited to a flat top at the moment and needed a bit more variety than sausages and lamb chops. WTTAWWT.

I was in Aldi the other day and saw this:
P-20240316-172728.jpg

This screamed Japchae to me, which I have posted once before.

So I went to get all the goodies and last night started with the egg. 4 Eggs seasoned with some Soy and sesame oil:
P-20240316-172358.jpg

Rolled up:
P-20240316-172614.jpg

which I then sliced thinly into ribbons for later.

In went the tenderloin just to sear on the outside, and very rare in the middle.
P-20240316-174159.jpg

Vegies:
P-20240316-195648.jpg

These were choy sum (collard greens), onion, carrot, shiitake mushroom, oyster mushroom chopped chillies and green onion.

Added the sliced pork loin.
P-20240316-200016.jpg

Chopped it up a bit more with the Huusk knife right on the flat top.
P-20240316-200608.jpg

Added the Korean Potato Starch noodles.
P-20240316-200848.jpg

Added a lot of sauce:
P-20240316-200954.jpg

The sauce mix was Soy, Mirin, Sesame Oil and Gochugaru flakes.

The noodles suck up heaps of sauce so don't skimp on sauce!

Frying away on the flat top, it's a big dinner for sure. Added sesame seeds.
P-20240316-201401.jpg

Had my first serving outside watching the game.
P-20240316-201940.jpg

Same with the second:
P-20240316-204448.jpg

And I got some lephtovers in the fridge.

I really do recommend these noodles. They do not stick. Hold their shape and do not go soggy. Real low GI as well, being mostly starch which we can't digest too well. Very low free sugars, so for you Keto fiends out there, this is one noodle you can occationally indulge in.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers!

Bill

Last edited:
Awesome, the great thing about diversity is learning about the people from different countries and their magnificent foods. When I was growing up in Melbourne it was fish and chips on Friday nights and Chinese on special occasions!

Being "Limited" to a flat top has not stopped you!

That looks fantastic! Great work!

Is Japchae japanese for worm stir fry?

Nope. It's Korean for Worm Stir Fry.

Don't mix up a Japanese for a Korean or vice versa. Traditionally these two peoples are not the best of friends historically and they both have very long memories.

Please learn to tell them apart. The people AND the food.

Bill

There are a ton of things you can do on a flat top. If you could only have one cooker, it is not the worst one to have. We are doing NY strips on ours this evening. Excellent looking cook there Bill. Thanks for posting it.

Turns out the microwave is very forgiving on those needles too. The lephtovers were delicious!

That's a beautiful dish! We make it on occasion and it's always tasty. Last time we made it we deep fried some of the raw noodles and they puffed up like popcorn.

Don't mix up a Japanese for a Korean or vice versa. Traditionally these two peoples are not the best of friends historically and they both have very long memories.

Bill

Working for a Japanese company for over 20 years I can attest to this, the only bigger insult is confusing a Japanese with a Chinese person.

Bill

Chill out dude. I saw "Jap" in the name and just assumed it was short for a Japanese dish. I guess i should have just said Asian worm stir fry.
I might be an @sshole, but i am not a racist.

Chill out dude. I saw "Jap" in the name and just assumed it was short for a Japanese dish. I guess i should have just said Asian worm stir fry.
I might be an @sshole, but i am not a racist.

Take it easy Bob. I never implied that. I've had that levelled against myself on this website before it it didn't go down well. I'm chill. Very chill.

Cheers!

Bill

What a great meal, and a great twist for the use of Korean BBQ Beef. I've never tried potato starch noodles, something new for me to try.

Thanks for sharing Bill.

Back