Blower CFM

Votes: 2 66.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get A Different Blower System

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Grillestate

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hey all, been a fan of the forum for a while, but this will be my first post. I've had my 18" WSM for a while and have been pretty happy with it, but I finally decided to invest in a blower for those longer overnight cooks. After doing a lot of research (and finding out the PartyQ had been discontinued) I finally settled on the Auber Instruments SYL-2615SYS-W. (Runner up was the IQ110)

The one thing I haven't been able to really figure out though, is what the best CFM would be. The one I'm looking at offers 6.5, 10 and 20 CFM. Auber recommends the 6.5CFM blower is recommended for low and slow cooking on the WSM 18, but I also cook a lot of chicken (hung like a PBC) hot and fast at around 325-350, so maybe the 10 CFM blower would be a better investment? I've tried understanding it on my own but it looks like it's a little over my head right now, any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone has a different blower recommendation they feel would be a better fit, please let me know.

Edit: After doing a bit more research, I'm a bit less married to the Wifi Auber, it's starting to sound like all those features make it too complicated for it's own good. This one might be the better buy. It doesn't have a food probe, but that's what my thermo SMOKE is for anyway. Still unsure about the 6.5 vs 10 CFM though.

Thanks all

Last edited:
Never used a blower but ... isn't the speed adjustable ? just plug it in and give it a try ... on all the speeds ...

The Thermoworks billows fan works with the smoke thermometer; it's 47 cfm so you'll need to get the adjustable damper to use with your WSM. The damper is $2.99.

I use a 6.5 CFM on my 18 WSM and 10 CFM on the 22 WSM.

This has worked well in the 6+ years I've used the system. I usually cook 250*-325* on either smoker and these perform beautifully. If I need to sustain the temp above 300, i just crack the lid slightly to allow more exhaust.

From my experience, the 6.5CFM fan puts plenty of air into the smoker. The WSM is more limited by the exhaust than the intake. So by cracking the lid slightly, you can achieve 325* with relative ease. I've never gotten my WSM to sustain 350* even when I've swapped my 10CFM fan to the 18 WSM. But I've also not tried very hard as I cook chicken around 275-300*. Looks like I need to experiment!

Hope this helps. I've used Auber's for 6+ years (6.5 and 10CFM). If you have any other questions feel free to PM me or respond on this thread and I'd be glad to discuss. I've enjoyed my Auber's immensely and at a fraction of the price of a brand name system!

Back