Digital Thermometer for Overnight Smoke - what do you think of these products?

slider2021

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I decided to take a shot at an overnight cook for a 14-pound brisket for my July 4th bbq

Having never done one, I definitely want to use an alarm. After reading through the boards, I narrowed it down to these two products:

Inkbird IRF-4S Wireless Meat Thermometer - $75 on Amazon

Inkbird IBT-2X Digital BBQ Grill Bluetooth Oven Smoker Thermometer - $35 on Amazon

Thoughts? Comments?

Thank you,

Daba's BBQ

If it will help you get a decent night's sleep? Either I guess would do the trick.

I own the 4 probe version Inkbird IBT-2X and it works well- not a big fan of the software- but it works.

I just picked up the Inkbird IRF 4S and I am very disappointed with it. I tested it last night and again this morning. Not only is it difficult to program, the instructions are horrendous, but the oven probe also doesn't work. I am doing an overnight cook on Saturday and this is THE MAIN reason I bought it, to alert me if the temp goes high/low in my Traeger. I bought it from Amazon and will be returning it.

Now my problem is, I need to get a replacement thermometer ASAP (not the same model). My budget is around $75, so I cannot afford to spend the $190-250 on some of those other thermometers that others have suggested. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Daba's BBQ

Fireboard are $190 and up

Big jump from $80 that I can afford. Sorry

I see you bought a ThermoPro Tp28. That'll work.
I have a ThermoPro Tp20 that I had before the Fireboard. I still occasionally use it for shorter cook. You'll eventually end up spending the $190-250 for a better setup. Most people do.

There is zero comparison between the ThermoPro and Fireboard.
Thermoworks Signals & Smoke are worth a look too.

Oh. I know I'll eventually get the Fireboard.But I'm a new to Traeger and wanted to walk before I run. Thank you for the info and have a great 4th!

I used a Maverick XR-40 for a few years before building a HeaterMeter then getting a Fireboard. That might fill the gap until you buy a Fireboard. Though there’s always the argument for buy once cry once.

In all honesty though you’d probably be fine to just go without, fill up the hopper before you go to bed, maybe check on it once in the night and go. Used to be brisket was cheaper than a Thermometer and people cooked without them on pellet grills all the time. Hate to see you buy something you know you want to replace soon anyway.

I used a Maverick XR-40 for a few years before building a HeaterMeter then getting a Fireboard. That might fill the gap until you buy a Fireboard.

I had a Maverick for a while. While it worked well enough, the UI was just plain weird. “Press Set”. “Press Taste” “Quickly Press Set With Your Left Hand While Standing On Your Right Foot”…. It was the thermometer version of Twister. I bought a Smoke and gave the Maverick to a buddy.

I will say that it never got stupid and needed re-pairing with the remote, unlike my Smoke. :mad:

My maverick ET 732? are both still kicking. You could always get a Meater too at that price point. Meater is on my radar

My ole Dad R.I.P. always said "It's the section between the rod handle and boat seat that count." Got to know how to drive it. It's not about the thermometer, it's about what you are doing with the fire.

Yeah if you have an instant read and a PG grill your set. You don’t need anything else.

Set an alarm every 3-4 hrs and get up and check your automated PG. it’s going to be fine… that’s why your cooking on a PG.

If not … oh well that’s life.

I think like you do though and have enjoyed having an extra layer of protection so I have my fireboard for my primo and offset and my WIFI Mak foe the PG.

Convient? Yes, most definitely. Essential? Nope…. Sometimes I’m too lazy to set these up and just let the smoke roll and most of the time life is good

Back