• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help Identifying This Cut Of Beef

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I went to my local butcher 6 months ago to get a beef shank - what I got was a 20 pound “shank and ?” - I removed the upper part above the shank with a saw when I got it home - any idea what cut this is - chuck?

Plan on injecting it and smoking for chopped beef sandwiches

It's not chuck...It's the upper "arm" above the shank.
I guess cook it like a brisket, or braise it.

It's not chuck...It's the upper "arm" above the shank.
I guess cook it like a brisket, or braise it.

Thank you - that is my plan - going to inject with jalapeño butter to get some more moisture in the meat - once the bark is set into a Dutch oven with tallow and beer and back into smoker until probe tender - then pull/chop for sandwiches

Is that a giant marrow bone, like femur? Or whatever. If so I'd have to find some way to cook where it could be enjoyed.

Is this what is sometimes called a beef clod?

I had not heard of them until I went to the Texas Bash about 7 or so years ago, but then again, I never saw so many briskets roaming around in peoples front yards.

If you will look at first picture, the three-sided lean part right above the bone looks a lot like the boneless shoulder roast that I would cut back in my butcher days. That whole portion is what we called the shoulder clod. I didn't break down many front quarters, most of that came in boneless and boxed. If we sold quarters of beef, it was usually the hind quarter and we would often get those whole.

Back