• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

He's Got Legs...

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...and he knows how to cook them... (With apologies to ZZ Top (RIP Dusty Hill :sad:))

My wife came home from the grocery store on Thursday with a package of legs from the "Manager's Specials" freezer case. One local store takes meat that is approaching the Use By date and freezes it and then marks it down significantly. We were going camping for the weekend, so we tossed the legs in the trailer fridge to use over the weekend.

We went camping at a US Army Corps of Engineers campground along the Mississippi River and our site had a great view!

A8-D3044-C-B2-E1-4-BC4-9-BDA-5-E8094-C1-F63-B.jpg

02-FD9644-CC4-B-45-B3-9178-7804765-DE928.jpg

The Army Corps campgrounds are clean and well maintained, and if you have a National Park Senior pass it is only $10/night! There is no pool or stuff like that, but we don't need that type of stuff and prefer to be by the water.

Anyway, back to the legs :-D. They were thawed by Saturday afternoon so I put them in a simple brine of salt, water and whatever rub we had in the trailer, which turned out to be Fergolicious Sweet Love Rub. After an hour in the brine I rubbed them with the Sweet Luv Rub and put them on my PKGo (our camping grill), no tirmming or anything. The PKGo is small, so it doesn't take a lot of charcoal to get it to temp. I use about 1/2 chimney of lit Royal Oak briquettes, along with some unlit and set it up indirect and it held 325 rock solid. The legs were a bit of a tight fit, but it worked out.

6-C6-D5853-F2-DE-4782-98-DB-CF450-A611-F4-F.jpg

The legs took just about an hour to hit 180 internal. Once they were at that point I glazed them with whatever sauce we had in the trailer :-D, which was a mixture of three or four sauces that were in the garage fridge.

AE720-A2-E-75-B9-4-C1-B-B58-B-106-ECD82742-A.jpg

55-F86-CB7-0-C1-B-402-B-A5-CE-CEFA8-FCB3-F14.jpg

We ate the legs with some deli salads from the same local grocer, and I washed mine down with a nice Double Chocolate Fudgy Brownie Stout from Untitled Art Brewing in Waunakee, WI.

161-A1468-B97-F-46-B8-8921-800-BA79568-FB.jpg

11-BE2011-CFDD-4-A4-F-8-FD3-581415-FAF441.jpg

535-AF1-B2-92-FA-4955-9-FCE-FC216-C2863-C5.jpg

All in all, it was a great meal in a great setting!

I glazed them with whatever sauce we had in the trailer , which was a mixture of three or four sauces that were in the garage fridge.

Hopefully they didn’t come out TOO good because you’ll never be able to replicate them. :mrgreen:

Those are legendary! You definitely have a leg up on the competition with those. Way to put your best foot forward! Next time if you kneed help eating those let me know

Hopefully they didn’t come out TOO good because you’ll never be able to replicate them. :mrgreen:

It wouldn't be the first time :-D I tend to dump rubs or sauces that are getting low into a single container, so I never know how some things will turn out :-D

Looks like y'all had a great time.

That Jayco pop-up behind your trailer looks like the same
model I used to have years ago. :clap2:

It wouldn't be the first time :-D I tend to dump rubs or sauces that are getting low into a single container, so I never know how some things will turn out :-D

I said that because the best BBQ sauce I ever made was the result of me trying to save a screwup and just throwing everything I could think of, in, in random quantities.

I started with catsup and added some mustard, not noticing it was horseradish mustard…catsup + horseradish = cocktail sauce…which is great on shrimp, not so good on ribs…

After emptying half the cupboard, I ended up with the best sauce I’ve ever done…and will never do again.

Very nice RonL......What kind of cart do you have your PKGo on? I've been looking at those for just me and the wife..

What a winning combination. Perfect legs and vacation spot. Ya stinks about Dusty Hill. One of my favorite all time bands as well as Billy Gibbons solo stuff. My first concert ever, on my 18th birthday. Friends bought my ticket and it was surprise.

Back