MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #1
Viticulture
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Steve
Default Pork rib rub rec

Looking for a rib rub recipe that isn't the typical sweet / hot combo. Don't get me wrong I love that combo but I need another rub. Short story long, we have a 94 yr old WW II Veteran neighbor that recently moved to an assisted living facility and says the food at the place is absolutely horrible. Says everything is bland and tasteless. When I mentioned that we should have him over for ribs (his fav) he really brightened up so we're picking him up today for an early dinner feast and ribs are on the menu. At any rate I plan on cooking a rack w/ the sweet / hot along w/ another rack of just a dry rub for him.

Anyone have a nice flavorful rib rub recipe they'd like to share? Thank you in advance.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #2
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Hard to go wrong with salt and pepper ribs

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
Bigpappa1
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Zachary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viticulture View Post
Looking for a rib rub recipe that isn't the typical sweet / hot combo. Don't get me wrong I love that combo but I need another rub. Short story long, we have a 94 yr old WW II Veteran neighbor that recently moved to an assisted living facility and says the food at the place is absolutely horrible. Says everything is bland and tasteless. When I mentioned that we should have him over for ribs (his fav) he really brightened up so we're picking him up today for an early dinner feast and ribs are on the menu. At any rate I plan on cooking a rack w/ the sweet / hot along w/ another rack of just a dry rub for him.

Anyone have a nice flavorful rib rub recipe they'd like to share? Thank you in advance.

Oh my friend, do I have the recipe for you. I got kind of tired of the same thing and changed my recipe up a while back. I like it waaay more now. I'm happy to share, but just know that I am completely guessing at the quantities. When I first made it I made notes but they were vague. It was literally "some" of this, "less" of that, "more" of that. The idea was just so I would kind of have the proportions close and then nail down an exact measurement...which I never did. That said, I will tell it to you exactly how I use it, then give you what I estimate are the measurements my weird system would add up to.

- Ginger - a little (1 tsp)
- Dry mustard - a little (1 tsp)
- Cayenne - more (1 tbsp)
- Chili powder - extra (2-3 tbsp)
- Garlic powder - extra (2 tbsp)
- Minced onion - some (2 tsp)
- Hickory smoked salt - a little (1 tsp)
- Black pepper - some (2 tsp)
- Garlic salt - a little (1-2 tsp depending on your liking)

I know, I know; that's THE dumbest system in the world for tracking quantities. What can I say? It made sense at the time...

I have found this rub to be bold, savory, and hearty with a kick of spice. I also got tired of the sweetness and wanted something that was closer to Texas style but with a bit more going on than just S&P. This is my take. Call it Iowa style.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
Hard to go wrong with salt and pepper ribs
Or Q-Salt, cooked these with just Q-Salt on the Kettle last Friday, no sweet, no heat, just good seasoning to compliment the meat.

Cooked at about 310 took 3hrs, did not wrap or spritz.

WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸

Last edited by KevinJ; 02-26-2020 at 12:18 PM..
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #5
Bigpappa1
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Zachary

Quote:
Or Q-Salt, cooked these with just Q-Salt on the Kettle last Friday, no sweet, no heat, just good seasoning to compliment the meat.
I did not know this existed...I'm buying some right now...

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

I second the Q-salt reco...I did a three way shoot out...two typical rib rubs and Q-salt...consensous with the group was Q-salt.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #7
SirPorkaLot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post

Cook at about 310 took 3hrs, did not wrap or spritz.

That’s how I cook my ribs too, but I try not to make every post about Naturiffic lol

Old 02-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #8
SirPorkaLot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp View Post
I second the Q-salt reco...I did a three way shoot out...two typical rib rubs and Q-salt...consensous with the group was Q-salt.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2020, 04:22 PM   #9
Viticulture
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Steve

I'll have to use Bigpoppa1's recipe at a later date as I didn't have all the ingredients and just ordered Q-salt. For now I used a sample bag of Oakridge SPOGOS for one of the racks and the standard sweet / hot rub on the other. Went light on the SPOGOS because I've never used it before - nothing like using guests to test stuff on.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #10
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, granulated onion, and granulated garlic (SPOG) works on just about anything in a pinch.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 08:08 AM   #11
kls44
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ken

Kosher salt, black pepper and cinnamon.