MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

Default Question for Fireboard & CyberQ users

I have a question for the users of the Fireboard and CyberQ users. How many of you actually use the cloud function and was the cloud function what sold you on the device that you chose?

Old 02-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

I use the FireBoard. I love the cloud feature and use it all the time. Leave my smoker and run to the store and keep an eye on the temps. Sometimes I download the raw data and play with it in excel (I’m a geek sorry).

Love the product overall. Returned a Signals to get the FireBoard and am totally satisfied.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
I use the FireBoard. I love the cloud feature and use it all the time. Leave my smoker and run to the store and keep an eye on the temps. Sometimes I download the raw data and play with it in excel (I’m a geek sorry).

Love the product overall. Returned a Signals to get the FireBoard and am totally satisfied.
Did you buy the product based solely on that ability?

Old 02-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #4
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

My CyberQ is so old its email functionality didn't/doesn't work and there's no cloud component. It can function as it's own server but then you have to poke holes in your firewall and hope noone is wardriving. I purchased it to use local only across multiple cookers. At the time I think the options were that or the Rocks Stoker.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

What I am thinking about doing is bringing back the Stoker. I was able to locate someone that reverse engineered the probes and blower sensors. We got to discussing what it would take to bring the Stoker back to life and he seemed to think that we would need to produce a cloud version to compete with the CyberQ and the Fireboard among others. I personally believe that the cloud piece is not that big of deal but the real selling point would have to be an app that works on mobile devices.

To me the Stoker is still a great device for one is not limited to the number of probes you can run and not limited in the number of pits you can run as well. I compete and cook on two pits so I am really able to take advantage of the Stoker's abilities.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eap0510 View Post
What I am thinking about doing is bringing back the Stoker. I was able to locate someone that reverse engineered the probes and blower sensors. We got to discussing what it would take to bring the Stoker back to life and he seemed to think that we would need to produce a cloud version to compete with the CyberQ and the Fireboard among others. I personally believe that the cloud piece is not that big of deal but the real selling point would have to be an app that works on mobile devices.

To me the Stoker is still a great device for one is not limited to the number of probes you can run and not limited in the number of pits you can run as well. I compete and cook on two pits so I am really able to take advantage of the Stoker's abilities.
As much as I dislike most apps for simple things, having to use a webbrowser based portal to control things sucks massive donkey clackers.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #7
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
As much as I dislike most apps for simple things, having to use a webbrowser based portal to control things sucks massive donkey clackers.
I agree that is why I wrote a Java application to interface with the Stoker
It is similar to the old StokerLog application but I added a bunch of nice features to it. Being a competition cook I added a nice time line function into the application with alerts so that I can be sure I am staying on track.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #8
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by eap0510 View Post
Did you buy the product based solely on that ability?
No, can’t say that. But it was a requirement.

I wanted at least 4 probes, WiFi, ability to graph and export data, mobile app.

Signals was my first choice. When I had issues I returned it and got the FireBoard. Having owned both...FireBoard is the hands down winner.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #9
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

I bought the Fireboard to work on my Masterbuilt Gravity Feed. The b/t on the grill was spotty at best, and the wi-fi on it never worked on my Android devices. The Fireboard with the Drive cable lets me do the same thing but with b/t that works in almost all areas of my house, and the wi-fi connection is just rock solid that works with all my Android devices.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:33 AM   #10
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I have the CyberQ Cloud and the cloud stuff is pretty handy. I've had Bluetooth stuff in the past and it's annoying with disconnects and range issues. The Cloud works very well and while it's not the primary reason I chose the CyberQ Cloud, it certainly doesn't hurt, and I use it everyday I cook just temp monitoring. I would much rather prefer a phone app versus using a web browser and going to sharemycook.com, but it works well enough so it's not the end of the world.

Good luck with your project; lots of competition right now and I still think the biggest bane of these types of devices is the wired probes. Those damned cables go bad all the time in high humidity environments, and it makes me furious. I love my MEATER because it doesn't have cables, but it also doesn't have a fan system, so for running my cabinet smoker all night long it doesn't have much utility anymore.

Last edited by SmoothBoarBBQ; 02-27-2020 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: Grammar
SmoothBoarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2020, 06:07 AM   #11
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Like Joel, I wanted multiple probes, wifi, good mobile app. The cloud storage was icing on the cake so I got the Fireboard.

I will edit certain cooks so they are easy to find for future use. I'll mark them with what kind of meat, the weight and what cooker I was using. I can get an estimate on the time it takes to cook something.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #12
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
Good luck with your project; lots of competition right now and I still think the biggest bane of these types of devices is the wired probes. Those damned cables go bad all the time in high humidity environments, and it makes me furious. I love my MEATER because it doesn't have cables, but it also doesn't have a fan system, so for running my cabinet smoker all night long it doesn't have much utility anymore.
I agree with you on all of the wires getting in the way. I am not a big fan of the plugs that the Stoker uses simply due to the bulkiness of the device once you 5 or 6 probes plugged in. Now having the probes all be like MEATER that is an interesting thought.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #13
eap0510
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you everyone for giving me some good feedback. It appears that most everyone so far really likes the cloud piece.