South of the border surf 'n surf

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I decided to do a little surf 'n surf with my catch from deep freezer fishin'. Catch of the day is mahi filets and Argentina red shrimp - these are one of my favorite types of shrimp, they almost have a lobster like flavor.

The mahi got seasoned with Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chile Lime and the shrimp got Big Poppa Smokers Bacon Jalapeno Rub. We hit up the Mexican market the other day and I grabbed some nopales (cactus) and onions which is pretty regular grilling fare south of the border. I also had a hankerin' for Mexican style street corn, so I got some cotija cheese to go with the Tajin and mayo at home.

I skewered the shrimp and used a section of GrillGrates for the fish. The slotted spatula works great for something delicate like fish. Grilled the onions first, then nopales, then the shrimp and fish. Slathered some mayonnaise on the corn, then crumbled Cotija cheese, then Tajin seasoning on top. Mango salsa on the fish. Deeeeelicious.

The only thing missing was some tequila :thumb:

surfnsurf1.png

surfnsurf2.png

surfnsurf3.png

surfnsurf4.png

surfnsurf5.png

Last edited:
Eating like royalty, I.m fascinated by your cactus

I tried explaining the texture and flavor to a friend earlier, and there wasn’t any other vegetable we eat here I could accurately compare it to. It’s slightly dense but tender, maybe a little bitter though it’s usually served with some squeezed lime juice on it. I used a flexible boning knife pressed against the leaf to remove the spikes. You can buy it in cans or jars, cut into strips about the diameter and length of green beans, and they’ll be used in cooked “casserole” kind of dishes or maybe a fresh salad with tomatoes, onions, and avocado and used as a taco topping.

Aside from tasting pretty good, I mainly like them because they differ from what I’m used to eating.

Fine looking meal!
I’ve grilled cactus once before several years ago, but don’t remember what we put on it. It sure needs somethin.

Fantastic dish Suds! I gotta try the mexican street corn. Would love to try the cactus too, but I'm not going to find any of that around here.

Fantastic dish Suds! I gotta try the mexican street corn. Would love to try the cactus too, but I'm not going to find any of that around here.

Yeah, it can be hard to find here too, you have to go to grocery stores or markets in areas with a prevalent Hispanic population. Their regular produce is pretty good too, and it’s usually cheaper. May be less of that “north of the border”.

Back