MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 06-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #1
DarkStar11
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default OKC Suggestions?

It looks like we may be making a trip to OKC soon. Y'all have any restaurant suggestions - BBQ or otherwise - that we should try to hit? Thanks!

Old 06-29-2021, 01:20 AM   #2
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Four J's Thai is my favorite in OKC. I've tried several of the highly recommended places there and been super underwhelmed. Cattlemans steakhouse gets a lot of press, but most say that at this point it's just for the history and the food is meh. Kosmos is located there, so it's neat to visit their place.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-29-2021, 07:29 AM   #3
timray
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Timo
Default OKC suggestions

I grew up in Oklahoma but only get back sporadically these days, so some restaurants have come and gone and there are some newer ones that I haven't tried. Regardless, here are some suggestions:

For a fine-dining experience ($$$$), check out Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse. Several locations, but the original is in the Bricktown area and just a few steps from the ballpark there. https://mickeymantlesteakhouse.com/

For BBQ, some of the legendary places are gone, but you can find Billy Sims' BBQ locations all over the state, and they must be good to be so successful, but I haven't tried it. Food looks good though. https://billysimsbbq.com/

For Mexican, everyone says Ted's Cafe Escondido is the best. I've been to the one in Edmond. It was very good. https://tedscafe.com/

For pizza, there's Hideaway Pizza. Original location in Stillwater (it's where they invented the board game Pente by playing it on checkered bar towels). Numerous other locations. https://www.hideawaypizza.com/

More restaurants/bars in Bricktown and up and down Northwest Expressway and May Ave. and up in Edmond and down into Norman.

Have fun and happy eating.
timray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

ClarkCrew bbq
Leo’s in okc
Butcher Bbq - east of OKC IN WELLSTON
BURNco if you go thru Tulsa
Vans if your in Norman
Smokin Joe’s if you south
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:07 PM   #5
DarkStar11
is one Smokin' Farker

Unfortunately, the trip got cut incredibly short and we didn't have time to hit any of the places we wanted to. Went up Friday afternoon, plan was to come home Monday...It's Saturday and I'm on my home PC. We went to Scratch Kitchen & Cocktails last night for dinner. Kind of a trendy place in what seemed to be a gentrified area. They mixed decent drinks and the food was great when it finally came out of the kitchen.

Before heading back to TX today, I noticed a Billy Sims BBQ close to the hotel. Maybe it was just that location, but I won't try another based on today's experience. I admit, I didn't have high hopes going into it. It reminded me a lot of Dickey's and Sonny Bryan’s. The BBQ sauces were probably the best thing I tasted there. The sides were acceptable, and the jalapeno-cheese sausage was okay. I guess there's only so much one can expect from strip center chain BBQ joints. We were really looking forward to Four J's Thai, but it didn't work out this time.

Thanks for all the suggestions - hopefully we'll get to try some more on down the line...