Category: Beef

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Next month I'm entered into a small non-sanctioned event and one of the categories is "Beef". It's a one-day event, so brisket is out, I'm guessing - not sure about turn in times, but can't imagine they'd be too late in the day.

So...my question to you experienced and wiser Brethren is: What would you cook? I have ideas, but can't nail one down and would like to figure it out and practice before the event.

Thanks

Okay, THAT wasn't one of my original thoughts. Really? Interesting.

I don't have personal experience with it, really, but I've seen some real nice looking tri-tip roast pron here!

+1 for TRI TIP! Tasty, cooks fast (relatively), can be direct grilled or indirectly roasted (smoked).

A rib roast would probably go over well, as would some nicely cooked filets, but that gets expensive. A nice, medium rare tri tip would be good, especially if you can include a sauce, like a red wine reduction of some sort.

Not to lead you down the wrong path :rolleyes: - I have never competed, but I have done my share of cooking and I find a rib roast to be 1) Beef, 2) doesn't take anywhere near as long as brisket, or a chuckie and 3) it was the first thing that popped into my head.
I guess one of the questions are... what are the rules of this event??

FYI - can't get tri-tip around here to safe my life.

Hit them with something they thought couldn't be done on a grill..Beef Wellington!

We have great success doing them be it a bit expensive at times. It takes hardly any time to cook and looks amazing with very little plate primping.

What type of beef are you most comfortable with. If you can get your meat from a Butcher I would suggest that

If I was a judge I would be really happy to get a nice med rare ribeye. :grin:

Are you supplying the meat or does the contest supply it? Around these parts in the amateur contests the meat is supplied.

I was in a backyard contest last year where we were supposed to get a strip loin roast. I practiced using butchers beef & prime dust injection. I had a spicy beef rub that I used but I think Bovine Bold would be better. This was before I had tried any plowboy rubs. Slow smoked to medium as that's what we had to cook it to minimum. Rested with a scotch based sauce that was like a cross between a steak sauce and a BBQ sauce.

Well come the day of the comp we were given T-bone steaks. I didn't change a thing went with what I had been practicing just adjusted my cook times. We ended up with first in beef by a large enough margin that we won the comp overall despite some problems with the ribs.

Here is what I turned in for tri-tip last weekend for an "anything goes" presentation. Scored a perfect 180.

tritip-1.jpg

Well, if I were to thank each of ya individually, I'd run out of "thanks" button - I think. So...to ALL of you...thanks.

I've decided to do beef liver.

Just kidding.

I'm waiting to see the rules and what my team mate thinks - since he's covering food cost, I'll let him make at least 10 percent of the decision. LOL

I originally thought tri-tip, even before Huminie once again posted his perfect plate. But, I do love a good hot smoked Prime Rib.

What is the timeline?

You could turbo cook a brisket flat in 4 hours, cooler it for an hour or two and serve it.

Reverse sear a Tri-Tip

Fajitas

Flat Iron steak

APL Beef back Ribs

Stuffed Flank steak
IMG_1627_1.jpg

just don't over cook it like I did!

Back