MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #16
kynmo2010
On the road to being a farker

Just go for it. A buddy and I had entered rib and wing cook offs for a charity and had done pretty well. There was a different local charity that had a cook off a month ago. It wasn't a sanctioned event, but it followed KCBS rules and had a couple of KCBS judges. It was a relatively low entry fee, so we decided to do it for the experience. We entered the 4 standard meat categories, chili and a side, plus we had to cook some extra to provide samples for the public for people's judging. It was a lot of work but rewarding since it was for charity. We ended up with 1 first, 2 seconds and a third place. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but I would do it again. There were only 8 teams in the competition, but we ended up 2nd overall. Even if we wouldn't have brought home trophies, it was a good first experience.
kynmo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #17
BruceB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys4dlr View Post
And sometimes you get lucky and it is cooking in a grass field. much cooler than a parking lot. Jump in, it's fun.
and it always rains....:)

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM and 18 1/2" WSM
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe 18 1/2"
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes Barbecue Association
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #18
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Would not be a comp without some wind and rain.

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2020, 04:15 PM   #19
Budwiser
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Brian

just sign up for a contest and compete!! thats how i started in 2016....I just judged a non sanctioned contest (due to covid restrictions here in NC) and the grand champ was a first time competitor..he cooked some great bbq though

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #20
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob g View Post
You might want to get certified as a judge and then judge a number of competitions. It will give you a good idea of what is being turned in for both good and bad bbq. You then have a baseline to compare your own bbq against.
Agree with this 100%. Judge a few comps and find out what other judges are looking for and how food is being presented. Learn the room.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Old 11-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #21
Schwebs
Found some matches.

Judge - I've competed for 4yrs, but judged for the first time this year. It was more than an eye opener, it was a smack in the face.
Do a dry run by simulating a comp - all 4 meats on your timeline with boxes and turn in times . Take notes on what works and what doesn't.
Weather will rarely cooperate - have a way to confidently handle rain and wind
Checklist and timeline - I'm lost without mine
Hydrate - easy to get dehydrated around hot smokers on a hot day where alcohol might happen
There's a lot of fun there, but sure to get some
Good Luck
Schwebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #22
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

There are a lot of cooks that judge once or twice a year, I'm positive they learn something to take back to their team, BUT judges like myself have also learned a lot about the cooking side competitions when visiting with cooks at at the judging table.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2020, 07:30 AM   #23
Serious Hog
On the road to being a farker

The first contest we ever did, the organizer told us on the day of the cook that we would see a lot of fancy smokers and set ups, but not to be intimidated and just do our cook. Don't worry that you are doing something wrong because other teams put on meats before/after you etc.

It was great advice that has always stayed with us. We went out that day with our minivan packed full of everything under the sun (including about 200 ln of charcoal to cook just Chicken and Ribs) and to our amazement won 3rd in Ribs. Nothing like that feeling in the world, best to you on your competition!

WSM 18.5" X4, WSM 22.5", WSM 14", Weber OTG 22.5", Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Go Anywhere, Char-Griller Outlaw, Char-Griller Pro, Old Smokey, Masterbuilt Elite
Serious Hog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #24
BoneDaddy's
Take a breath!

My suggestion, don't over think it. Go and have fun, cook some food and meet some new people.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #25
didisea
Take a breath!

If you can, I would go and scout out some contests, or post a request to cook with a team, so that you get an idea of how to set up, taste some food, etc.
Do not sell yourself short on getting a call. People have a lot of beginners luck, in part because they don't overthink it. BBQ is basic, but attention to detail is important.
Competing for me is setting and attaining my own goals, not beating other teams. So the goals for your first comp are; turn in all 4 meats on time, have fun, make new friends, and get a call.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #26
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwebs View Post
Judge - I've competed for 4yrs, but judged for the first time this year. It was more than an eye opener, it was a smack in the face.
Do a dry run by simulating a comp - all 4 meats on your timeline with boxes and turn in times . Take notes on what works and what doesn't.
Weather will rarely cooperate - have a way to confidently handle rain and wind
Checklist and timeline - I'm lost without mine
Hydrate - easy to get dehydrated around hot smokers on a hot day where alcohol might happen
There's a lot of fun there, but sure to get some
Good Luck
man you aren't joking about the hydrating comment. A few years ago my partner and I were in Jamestown, TN doing a double in outright sinful heat. I mean it was brutal. We had tents and an enclosed trailer with several fans, but no AC. There was a bathhouse really close to our sight and were able to take multiple cold showers to help stay less hot....lol

but during the day Saturday my partner drank beer on an off all day, with little else. Never was drunk, just having fun, but we never considered what it was doing to him in the heat. Later that night, he was in the hospital with what we initially thought was a heart attack to only learn during the hospital visit that he was severely dehydrated.

my big ass had to go back to the site in the middle of the night and load up and get us home after they released him......we got home like 5am in the morning both of us feeling about half dead.

moral of the story.........HYDRATE!!!!!!

or make sure you have a rig with good AC.....lol
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.