how much salt in chili?

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Recipe says salt "to taste". It's a large crock pot, batch is 3-4 lbs of meat. Any general rule of thumb for this?

Thanks.

Simple question but no simple answer. Is everything 100% fresh products no processed food or is some from a can? Stock-Tomato or Coffee based? Basically any cans of anything? Usually a can or wrapper product has salt msg or both. Those cases not much if any salt at all added. Did you use a chili kit or fresh spices. Toppings? More salt. Crackers or pork skins or Fritos more salt. Can of beans? More salt.

To taste.

Best answer I can give you is, it depends. 9/10 times I don’t add additional salt.

Last edited:
1 teaspoon at first, then taste towards the end. Remember, you can always add more salt at the table.

Good advice, thanks. The meat gets salted when I brown it. Yeah, there's a mix of canned stuff as well as fresh. I'll salt my sample bowl and scale up from there if needed.

1 TSP in the pot. Thanks.

I put Cavender's on the meat when browning it, and add a can of Consommé later. Never need any additional salt.

I lightly salt the veggies in the beginning and like cowgirl adjust at the end. The longer you simmer the more concentrated the salt taste becomes.

My wife has to watch her salt intake, so I frequently don't use it.

Zero salt in my chili outside of what is already in the ingredients I add.

Just made a 5# batch on Friday. No salt added.
Plenty of salt for me in the canned goods.
Used coarse ground chuck and Big Ron's Mix.
Best I have ever made.

I start with no salt tomatoes, no salt beans, and no salt chili powder. Otherwise, I'd add no salt without tasting. The pre-mixed packages may already have salt.

I don't add very much, but I'm constantly tasting it. I tend to under-salt most of my food because what I consider the right amount might be too much for someone else. I let them add more at the table if they want it.

I never add salt when making chili unless I'm following a specific recipe. My family knows where the salt shaker is but cooking for others is impossible to know how they like it. Once chili is done I salt to my taste. Kind of like adding cheese, sour cream, etc.

Back