Advice wanted: traditional offset vs. reverse flow for cold weather year round smoking

its_a_tarp

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I hail from Indiana (I'm on the map) and obviously new (also in cattle call).

I'm in the market for my next upgrade, and I'm specifically looking to move away from the wood pellet into new territory. I've been rocking my RT-590 for 2 years but want to move towards fire management because I find myself wanting to be doing more during my cooks.

Some background about me: my wife and I love hosting, and I've catered for as much up to ~25 adults for a men's group at my church (that was tough with 592 sq. inches of real estate, which is why I don't want anything less than 1200 sq. inches moving forward). I smoke year round in any weather. I've smoked in torrential downpours and a blizzard one time. I'm not into competition and am more than content with just the backyard/patio style smoker.

With all that said, I'm wanting to move towards a traditional offset or more preferably a reverse flow since I'm already accustomed to even temperatures across the shelf. My budget is anywhere from $1-2.5k. We're going to be moving to northern Indiana where lake effect snow is a reality. I've already reached out to Chad at Johnson Custom smokers. Lang's look awesome, but the 48" is outside of my budget. Similarly, I'd love to support Outlaw smokers since they're native to Indiana, but they're WAY outside of my budget. I like what Shirley does, but that's a crazy wait list!

I am leaning towards an insulated firebox (easier learning curve, less wood consumption, probably better suited for winters/prevention of heat loss... I know it's a bit tougher to dry splits out on an insulated box though). I definitely want a 1/4" cook chamber at the minimum... but please--please inundate me with advice, opinions, and experience oh great wise brethren of yore! Tell me where my research is faulty or help me think of things that I might be missing or needing.

Back