MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #61
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

This thread seems to have gotten a bit weird, but if you would like to come judge practice Q on almost any weekend we are not competing in Austin TX. We would love the independent judgment for free. If you want to compete against us you will find us at most comps for 100-200 entry fee and 200-500 per event for sanctioned events. For not cut the cost in a 1/3 on the high end. Most of the time we are just a group that wants to have fun and a few drink a lot of beer or the like and take credit in the challenge..... have fun or it will be no fun at all. Kinda like a kids sport, no over zealous COMPETETIVE soccer moms without intense drugs allowed.... just my two cents.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #62
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCoyote View Post
This thread seems to have gotten a bit weird, but if you would like to come judge practice Q on almost any weekend we are not competing in Austin TX. We would love the independent judgment for free. If you want to compete against us you will find us at most comps for 100-200 entry fee and 200-500 per event for sanctioned events. For not cut the cost in a 1/3 on the high end. Most of the time we are just a group that wants to have fun and a few drink a lot of beer or the like and take credit in the challenge..... have fun or it will be no fun at all. Kinda like a kids sport, no over zealous COMPETETIVE soccer moms without intense drugs allowed.... just my two cents.
It's not weird. It is just showing what some of us do in the comp world. If TSTP wants to go to MIM..Good for him. Sounds like a hell of a good time. If I want to spend a chitload of $$ to go to different parts of the country to travel and see who doesn't like my food..It's all good. To each their own.
I used to fish the PWT (Proffesional Walleye Trail) $3-4K/tournament.
I dealt with a bunch of pricks that wouldn't even unplug their chargers after 10 hrs of charging to let you plug in (on community plugs). Yet drooling all over your wife while waiting!! Fark em!! I love the BBQ folks!!

THAT'S what keep's me coming back!

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #63
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

I apologize if I made things weird...I just thought more explanation was necessary about why a contest would cost $15,000. Maybe this is more in line with the original question.

Comp BBQ has changed a lot over 2 decades, but one thing that hasn't changed is the fun and the family. This sport has grown by leaps and bounds since I started in it and the one constant is it's amazing people.

If the people change, not even a free entry fee would get me to a contest. The fellowship and friendships we have are what bring us back year after year. Hopefully I will never have to make that decision.

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #64
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

I can beat the $15G. The corporate and some pro teams at the Houston Livestock & Rodeo contest spend 6 figures easy. It's all for charity and bragging rights.

Personally, when I won my only qualifier and spent the prize money (and some savings) on a down payment on the van, it was a commitment to keep cooking as long as I have to make a payment. I put about 10,000 miles on the van every year. It's easy to keep at it when I get to see friends like last weekend in Hot Springs. So, as long as I have (1) my health and can hook the pellet Geer up to the van, (2) the money to fill the fuel tank and buy the necessaries to cook, and (3) the passion to do this thing we do, I'll keep at it!
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #65
dhuffjr
Full Fledged Farker

Entry fees approaching 400 is getting steep I think. I've finished 3rd twice overall without breaking even for that contest. The more you raise the costs the harder it gets to come close to breaking even.

Charge for electricity? Count on me bringing my generator. It has always worked and my plug can always reach it. We have a toy hauler so I'll bring my own water if your going to charge for that too.

I have a payment for the truck and trailer now that I bought because of BBQ.

That said like all the friends I've made in the BBQ world the trailer has had such fringe benefits beyond the costs. We've had some awesome times on the BBQ trail. Our family has had some wonderful times in the trailer camping and vacationing together as well. I don't count our trailer/vehicle costs into bbq.

Entry, meat, gas, misc supplies is it......and the $20 dollars of parsley...we can't forget that.