MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny
Lightbulb Tired of our crappy weather....

So since it's gloomy and cloudy and unseasonably cold for here...
I got a wild hair, grabbed some Beef from the freezer, and started me a pot of chili.
So far, it tastes pretty good. Even my little buddy likes his samples.

Browned the beef in the Dutch Oven, seasoned it up for starters, then added my beans. I've been tuning the taste as it simmers along.
1# Beef
3.5# Of Pinto and Black beans (drained).
Granulated Garlic, Granulated Onion, Black Pepper, Chili Powder, Paprika, and some SPOG.
1/2 a can of chopped Jalapenos
1 cup of water.
(Sorry, I season to taste. So I didn't measure. Other than noted above. )

Usually we add chopped onion and grated cheese to our bowls.

Anybody else fartin around in the kitchen?
(I want to shoot the weatherman. But all the good that would do is to wreck the TV. )

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
wire-it-up
is one Smokin' Farker

I thought California was always sunny. Sorry to hear it's not. I've been there once, and I do remember the LA/Hollywood area getting a lot of rain while I was there (many years ago). We are getting lousy weather too. Worst Spring I can remember. Temps in the 40's here, when the "normal" high is low 70's for this time of year. Really fed up with it, but nothing we can do but complain. I'm finding ways to work around it, keeping myself busy so I don't go nuts. Woodworking projects in the garage, cooking outside when possible, spending lots of time on this site talking about food.

Hopefully, in a very short period of time, we'll be complaining about how hot it is.
wire-it-up is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Mee too...

Old 05-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Making chili is excellent therapy for gloomy weather. Serve with beer and cornbread.

Almost never make chili (unless required for an event) when the weather is nice.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Might need to change your username to GloomyE

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wire-it-up View Post
I thought California was always sunny. Sorry to hear it's not. I've been there once, and I do remember the LA/Hollywood area getting a lot of rain while I was there (many years ago). We are getting lousy weather too. Worst Spring I can remember. Temps in the 40's here, when the "normal" high is low 70's for this time of year. Really fed up with it, but nothing we can do but complain. I'm finding ways to work around it, keeping myself busy so I don't go nuts. Woodworking projects in the garage, cooking outside when possible, spending lots of time on this site talking about food.

Hopefully, in a very short period of time, we'll be complaining about how hot it is.
Oh no, it's not. Our "winter" is usually one or two sub-32° F days, usually in early January.
Then Spring arrives, or our rainy season. Or as I call it, our brush fire fuel growing season.
But, the weather will be what the weather will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognot View Post
Making chili is excellent therapy for gloomy weather. Serve with beer and cornbread.

Almost never make chili (unless required for an event) when the weather is nice.
Absolutely! Except when it's a working day for me. So I abstain if I need to drive and haul.
I like to try now and then. Admittedly, the wife likes her Cattle Drive Chili. Me too, pop a top and nuke a can full.
But it breaks the boredom to break out the seasoning and heat up the Dutch Oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
Might need to change your username to GloomyE
Now Candice, be nice.
I've been a Sonny since I was a baby, when my Illinois farm boy Dad hung that nickname on me.
But maybe you are reflecting one of my blatantly honest posts. I can tend to call it like it is, and I don't wear gloves.
I do think this elongated Spring will eventually give way to our more typical hot and dry season.
Afterall, we do need to get our brush dry and in an explosive state for fall.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Sounds like your making the best of it Sonny.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #8
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyE View Post

Now Candice, be nice.
I've been a Sonny since I was a baby, when my Illinois farm boy Dad hung that nickname on me.
But maybe you are reflecting one of my blatantly honest posts. I can tend to call it like it is, and I don't wear gloves.
I do think this elongated Spring will eventually give way to our more typical hot and dry season.
Afterall, we do need to get our brush dry and in an explosive state for fall.
I am being nice. I am just saying, with all this crappy weather, and a name like SonnyE, GloomyE sounds more fitting under the current circumstances. Its was a joke, didn't mean anything bad by it. Jeesh.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:44 PM   #9
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
I am being nice. I am just saying, with all this crappy weather, and a name like SonnyE, GloomyE sounds more fitting under the current circumstances. Its was a joke, didn't mean anything bad by it. Jeesh.
Nothing bad taken by it, Candice.

But the weather's going to change. Me? Not so much.
I, for one, am so glad we have Global warming. I was scared in the 1970's when we were headed into another Ice Age.
But suddenly, we are going to burn up.

The chili was good by my standards. But too spicy by my wife's.
Still, a good project for a dreary day.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #10
thirdeye

For us in the high lonesome it was the other way around. 6 or 8 days ago were short pants weather.... then came a cold front and we're on the 4th or 5th day of rain mixing to snow at night. Cheyenne is calling for 6" of snow tonight and Colorado will likely see the tail of this storm. If things don't change I might have to dust off my hard water fishing gear.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #11
Capt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cole

Sounds like some pretty nice Chili.... Except of course the Beans!!! J/K being from South Texas it was a Sin to put beans in your chili.

Old Country Pecos Stick Burner / Weber One Touch Platinum / Camp Chef Flat Top 600 / Caja China (Pig Box) / Weber Spirit Gasser / Weber Q 1200 Tailgator / Ooni Pro Pizza Slayer / Vision Kamado Pro
Capt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #12
Bigdawg580
On the road to being a farker

Now that Tornadoes have decided to leave Oklahoma it’s time to BBQ while the weather is good, before the weather changes again
Bigdawg580 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #13
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Love to make a good Pot of Chili Love to have it in the freezer Love beans in chili too
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #14
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Chili recipe sounds excellent, unlike your current weather. Here in South Cackalacky we are looking at 98 degrees for the Memorial Day Weekend. Loved the typical mid 80's springish weather, but boy that ran out of sight quick!
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote