MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:13 AM   #16
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Nice looking steak! Had you made two, I would’ve been more than happy to join you for dinner :)

Just rambling, but in my opinion, having the RT and Primo sitting side by side provides you with a really nice and EASY 2 zone setup for reverse searing. There are a lot of us pelletheads that find by slowly bringing the steaks up to temp in the pellet ‘smoker’ followed by a screaming hot sear on a secondary cooker (like your Primo) to be very hard to beat!!!
that is my thoughts exactly. I have a tri tip in my freezer right now. My plan is to smoke at 200 until I hit around 115 internal then sear on the Primo. I believe in using the proper tool for the right job. Both cookers have their strong points. I look at the two together as a perfect cooking system. Or at least that is the plan.

Primo Oval XL, BPS drum, Weber gasser
chingador is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #17
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post
that is my thoughts exactly. I have a tri tip in my freezer right now. My plan is to smoke at 200 until I hit around 115 internal then sear on the Primo. I believe in using the proper tool for the right job. Both cookers have their strong points. I look at the two together as a perfect cooking system. Or at least that is the plan.

Nice! Another advantage I find is that after the “sear portion” of the cook, when you visually have things to where you want them, should the internal temp still not be to your desired doneness you can easily return the protein to your pellet grill to slowly continue the rise in temp vs over-charring on the Primo. You’ll be able to really customize the level of exterior sear/crust to your liking when using both cookers :)

Old 03-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #18
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
After using a little longer, how do you feel about it? Would you still highly recommend it?

Does it cook the chicken well? What are your thoughts on the cooker as a whole?
The Stampede 590 is absolutely worth the price of admission. I really bought this for 2 reasons:
1) I can set it and forget it. I have alot of property to maintain and having to come back every 30 minutes to monitor/adjust the Weber kettle got to be tedious.

2) Sometimes I don't want the heavier/dirtier smoke profile of charcoal and chunks. The lighter cleaner profile of the pellet I enjoy a little more for pretty much everything. I still do charcoal and chunks on my PK if I feel like babysitting.

The key to getting a decent smoke profile from the Rectec is letting it roll for a few hours between 200-225. I do my BB ribs at 225 for 5.5 hours. Perfect every time. For a butt, I let it roll at 225 until 160* and the turn it up to 275-300 to finish. Perfect everytime.

For chicken, to get that crispy skin it has to be at 350 or higher. Comes out great whether it's parts or whole spatchcock chicken.

They aren't cheap but they are very good.
AWilliams is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #19
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post
And we are done. Never got over 440.is it pellets? The cooker? I don’t care. My Primo cooks a mean steak. I went 6 minutes first side, 7 the second. Maybe a hair over cooked but not by much. Juicy and flavorful. Without Grill Grates would be a non starter. Honestly, I am still learning this cooker, so I am not closing the book on high heat cooks, but with a perfectly good Primo sitting there ready to roll there isn’t a point to that. The Primo is a world class steak cooker in my opinion.

Still a wonderful meal and that is what counts
Well, a wise man once told me; "Take every cook as a learning experience".

Enjoy the ride.
SlowmotionQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #20
miked125
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : IG sask_bbq

I use my pellet for the reverse sear. Nice and low on the pellet then high on the egg.
miked125 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #21
Curt.P
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
How's the pony wine?
Makes me a little horse.

I'll show myself out...
Curt.P is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #22
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Something I like to do with whole chicken and turkey is cook low and slow at 225-275 deg then take the skin off at the end. The skin then goes into a skillet to crisp up. I then do pulled turkey or chicken with the crispy and very smoky skin mixed in

Old 03-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #23
farmer-fred
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tom

The steak looks great. I could tear that up. I bought a searing station for my Pellet Pro and plan on doing Rib Eye Steaks on it Sunday. I did not buy the Pellet Pro for high heat cooking, but wanted to try it out. Thanks for posting.
Tom
Weber Performer Premium Copper with Vortex Cone & Onlyfire stainless rotisserie ring, Weber Smokey Joe, Trail Embers Triple Function Smoker with Hunsaker Vortex Fire Basket, Kitchen Aid Stainless Gasser, Q-Master Senior Temp Controller, Inkbird IRF-2S Digital Thermometer. Little Griddle GQ230 100% Stainless Steel griddle attachment, Pellet Pro 1190 Pellet Grill With searing station.
farmer-fred is offline   Reply With Quote