• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ trailer tags??

GA1dad

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been looking at maybe buying a pull behind reverse flow offset cooker. Just curious, do you have to tag and title them in your area?? Should I avoid home made units just for that reason??

Yes I tag and title my BBQ trailers.. Here in Arkansas they issue you a VIN then they issue you a title and registration once you physically place the VIn on the trailer..

It all depends on the laws in your state. Here in WV my pit isn't required to be licensed, even though it's a trailer and I have a VIN. As long as it does not have a storage area it's not required to be tagged.

It all depends on the laws in your state. Here in WV my pit isn't required to be licensed, even though it's a trailer and I have a VIN. As long as it does not have a storage area it's not required to be tagged.

Interesting that the sticking point is storage, I'd like to know the philosophy behind that.

mine may not be required to be tagged either.. but I like to keep my encounters with the police to a minimum.. I have nothing against police.. as a matter of fact I appreciate their service to their communities.. I just don't like getting pulled over lol I travel over multiple states..

Re

I guess if I'm hauling stuff, it's a trailer and should be tagged. No storage space = not hauling anything, thus it's not a trailer, just a BBQ pit

As others have said, I think it varies state to state. We've had a pull behind Lang for several years now without a tag, never been a problem.

I'm in MO, and this is the response I got from our DoR:

"Thank you for your e-mail inquiry to the Missouri Department of Revenue. Grill trailers are not required to be titled or licensed in Missouri."

I guess I've just lived in CA for too long, always expecting to get raped for every dime. :wacko:

I'm in MO, and this is the response I got from our DoR:

"Thank you for your e-mail inquiry to the Missouri Department of Revenue. Grill trailers are not required to be titled or licensed in Missouri."

that is what they told me too and they said that if the trailer is just used for BBQing and not for hauling other things you do not haft to register it bur every state is different , just call your state inspection station and talk to the Highway Patrol there .

You don't in Wisconsin but you do have to in Illinois. I got one just to be safe when traveling to other states. On a side note, I was blown away at the ease of dealing with the Wisconsin DMV as compared to Illinois, where I used to live. I had Paul send me a serial # tag and I sent them pictures and filled out a form. I think it was like $50 and was supposed to take 6-8 weeks. I could cut the wait time in half if I paid a fee to expedite it. It was a whole $4 extra. I had a plate and title in 2-3 weeks and they even sent me some $ back. Illinois would of charged me an arm and a leg. I love Wisconsin!

Definitely varies by state. Kentucky (where I picked mine up) does not require you to tag a trailer. Ohio does. I just told the DMV it was a homemade trailer, they told me to get it weighed, and issued me the tags once I had a weight slip. Super easy.

I guess I've just lived in CA for too long, always expecting to get raped for every dime. :wacko:

I used to live in San Francisco while in school. California is so insanely regulated and every friggin thing has a fee associated with it....I remmeber having to register my car out there. Was based on the value of the car...cost like $450.00 per year or something crazy. Nice place to visit but.....

I used to live in San Francisco while in school. California is so insanely regulated and every friggin thing has a fee associated with it....I remmeber having to register my car out there. Was based on the value of the car...cost like $450.00 per year or something crazy. Nice place to visit but.....

You are correct, they will nickel & dime you to death here.

In Az. all trailers are required to be licensed, it can be tricky to licensed homemade units so sales receipts are a must and the more detailed the description on the receipt makes it easier. Also trailer owners have the option to get a permanent tag for their trailers.

In SC, you are not required to title or tag a trailer with no living space. You can title and tag it, but you're not required to. If you will be pulling it out of state, you still are not required to title and tag it, but it could possibly lead to an encounter with the police. It's fairly cheap to title and tag it and it's a permanent tag with no annual fee. I tagged my boat trailer because I routinely take it out of state. I have never tagged utility trailers.

Back