MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:02 PM   #1
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin
Default My experience with a rental kitchen/commissary/ghost kitchen.

Take it for what it's worth. This is just something fun for me, I'm being careful not to ruin my enjoyment for cooking, and I have a day job that I really enjoy, so I'm not trying to make a career of it. Hopefully some of this is helpful or interesting to someone.

Backstory
A few years ago, I caught wind of the 'smoked Cheezit' trend and had to give it a whirl. We enjoyed it, family and friends enjoyed it, and I decided to see if I could sell a few bags of the stuff. I had read a bit on the local rules for Cottage Law...and loosely followed those. My dad started taking them to his work and selling them to coworkers. I started with a basic rub (the one I use for pulled pork, and some additional garlic salt) and then requests started to come in. "hey, can you do a spicy version?" "What about a Parmesan?" A friend started raising my prices and telling people they cost more and more, and we hit a point that I was able to make enough to make it worth firing up the smoker to make a large batch or two.

Beyond the Backyard
Like many people here, I knew my love of cooking and BBQ, and of course had the daydreams of a food truck, etc. I often thought of the line so often seen here "of course people like your food when it's free, will they like it when they have to pay for it?" And…people were paying. This was a fun way to scratch that itch, without dumping tons of money into something custom.

Then you start to get the comments coming in "these would be a great bar snack" "you should sell these as giftmas samplers" etc. Then it’s "let’s see the next step" so I went to talk to the manager at the local farmer’s market. He said I'd need a health permit to sell them (which is odd, since the lady making cakes and cookies and jams doesn't need them...but whatever) so I started looking at that requirement and working backwards.

They would need a kitchen to inspect and certify. I think those have been covered here several times. Churches, VFW’s, Commissary Kitchens, I’ve even heard of a BBQ rub company that rented out the kitchen at a local gas station in their off hours. Time to start looking for something that was close.

The Rental
Kansas City has a few options for rental kitchens. I happen to live close to one that is housed in an old hospital and is owned by the city and the local school district. They have split up what used to be the hospital kitchen, into 6 different cooking spaces. The equipment varies in each kitchen, and you also have access to large appliances that you can 'check out' with your rental, such as a smoker, griddle, grill, tilt skillet, massive mixers, blast chillers, etc. To get signed up for the rental, they require you to get all the licenses and permits, and were insanely helpful in answering questions to help get all that started and pointing me to good sources for insurance, a bank for all of this, etc.

I think it took me 2-3 months to go from the ‘Market Meeting’ to my first cook in the rental.

The Market
Like I said at the start, I wanted this to still be fun. The first issue I had with the market, is that it opens at 7AM on Saturday. I’m barely up before 10 on a weekday. There was initial excitement and quickly some repeat customers. It was awesome to be part of the local community and see people each week. But it wasn’t strong sales, and the money made it hard to justify going. I'm not much for sales, generally quiet and reserved around new people, and with my day job-it was often a struggle to get new batches made, and I was always stressing about if I had enough variety, if I needed to change it, would I have enough of any given flavor, etc. I also found people wanted to buy the smaller bags which took significantly longer to package. So, it was quickly apparent that it wasn't really that fun, and it wasn't really that profitable. By the end of the season...I was barely even going.

Change of Plans
Right about this time last year, I was asked to start cooking meals by a family friend. She's a great cook but her husband travels Sunday-Thursday each week, and she was just over cooking for one person. I bought a 'meal prep' cookbook and started trying things out. She was giving me feedback on all the dishes and was good at being critical and providing positive and negative. I could figure out what dishes she really liked and look for ways to approve on others. To me this was a good use of time, because I’d end up with meals for myself as well, and find dishes that would freeze for later use, etc. Then her sister-in-law was interested. And then a few more friends. Suddenly, it looks like I’m a meal prep cook. I enjoy the variety of it, and not just cooking the same thing repeatedly. I’m still getting my own meals from this, so the time invested in cooking was provides me with lunches, food to travel with, etc. It doesn’t ‘feel like work’.

Next Step
By that point, I’m realizing that I have an expanding group of interested parties. I know I need to get into the Rental to be protected. Having done this for a while, I had learned that it was a variety of cooking supplies that I’d need. Then I set out to buy basically an entire kitchen. The rental provides the space, and they have all the large stuff like the stoves and ovens etc., but you must bring your own pots and pans and utensils and all the little stuff. The kitchen auctions seemed to either have things in bulk (no, I don’t need 25 sets of tongs) or that were very beat up. After a ton of back and forth and debating, I picked a line of pots and pans that I liked from WebRestaurantStore. It can be an odd site to comb through, and it’s weird when you are thinking “I Just want a frickin spatula” and they give you 432 different ‘turners’ to pick from. I’ve made several orders from them. The packing sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, but when I have had issues-they were super quick to make things right. It’s among the best customer service I’ve received anywhere-it’s just a bummer that shipping can cost so much, and it's never ‘be there in 2 days.’

Currently
Small customer base. Covers the expenses of the kitchen and the permits and everything, and it’s paid for all the supplies and such that I’ve wanted to get. I now go in Friday evenings and cook late. Since I’m already used to being up, it was the easy option for me. I don’t think I’ll miss a ton by using that night to cook, but they are flexible with an online booking system. I know I’m flying to San Diego Monday-Friday in a few weeks, so I’ll change that one to a Saturday booking and cook that day. The other people that use the kitchen space have been super friendly so far. I’ve started talking with a salsa company that has a large customer base and they are interested in offering my meals in some capacity. I do spend a lot of my free time looking at recipes and building out weekly menus. I don’t like to eat the same thing on repeat, and I don’t like to cook the same things either. The variety has, so far, kept it from feeling like a job. Any meal prep recipe is something I’ve tested at home and then can adjust for the customers-no more ‘cook it and ship it’. I’ve learned a lot about tweaking recipes around to fit the needs that I have, or just putting a grilled/smoked twist on it. The most fun is people that they do like things that are Thai or Korean or Mediterranean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9230.jpg (36.4 KB, 195 views)
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2022, 07:11 PM   #2
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

Thoroughly enjoyable read, Justin! Love to discover how original plans change and morph to meet/fit the needs of the community... Hope you're able to play around with the menu to be BOTH BBQ / smoked... AND a little international flare.

Safe travels for the day job. Best of luck on the side hustle!
Old 07-28-2022, 01:17 AM   #3
snadamo
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Adam

That was a fun read. Thanks for sharing and best of luck with your endeavors!
The Stable: Weber Kettle 22.5 | Weber Genesis II | WSM 18.5" | Camp Chef DLX 24 | Blackstone ProSeries 36" Griddle | Backwoods Chubby G3 | Big Chief front loader | Oklahoma Joe Highland | LSG 30” Cabinet offset
snadamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-28-2022, 12:24 PM   #4
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Awesome and thanks for the write up Justin.

My bro had the idea of ghost kitchens years ago before they became popular and with Covid they definitely became a thing. We had so little time that we couldn't start one up as we had planned to and now they're a dime a dozen here. I've seen food offered or available through various food delivery apps that don't have a storefront but serve out of a ghost kitchen. Which brings me to doing something similar to what you're doing so your post definitely helped. I also don't want to lose the fun in cooking so at this point I'm trying to put a blueprint together to gradually switch completely from what I'm doing. The good thing is that I see a lot of potential as people have gotten lazy, especially after covid, and don't want to do anything but order everything and not just food. On top of the that food prices have skyrocketed so much that for some people it's beneficial just to order out which opens up a lot of avenues if you want start something.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-28-2022, 05:46 PM   #5
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Yessir. I ate somewhere recently, and they commented on also being a ghost kitchen for others. It was a real restaurant that would rent in off hours. Wish I could remember where that was.

For me it was nice, because my 'investment' is just the cost of licenses and permits. I'm not having to spend tens of thousands to see 'what if..' and many people 'graduate' from this rental and move on to having a brick and mortar

I use an online food cost website that has been really handy. One thing that I didn't pay attention to when I was cooking just for myself-is the cost of some of the sauces/condiments. Like a bottle of Ponzu is $7. If you just need a few splashes a few times a year, I can see why someone would just skip buying it. But when I cook a larger quantity, it gets used and can be averaged out.

That's where I think some things similar to Hello Fresh can make some sense to people. They include small packs of all the random ingredients that most people won't know about or want to buy.

I definitely have a few people that just don't want to cook. Some of them just can't cook and lived on drive through food. Or the young stay at home mom that would have to eat a few frozen meals each week just when she was in a time crunch, now she has a few fresh meals that she doesn't have to cook.

Definitely work on a blueprint like you mentioned. I spent a year trying to figure out if I really wanted to pursue the meal prep, but I think this schedule and setup will keep things peacefully co-existing between it and the main job. I can see how if I was relying on this, it would get easy to be stressed or burnt out. This way I still get excited about being asked to bring something to a birthday party, etc.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-05-2022, 02:55 PM   #6
blackdogbbq21
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Paul

Thanks for sharing even though i'm late replying. I've got a dream of getting into doing some catering. I've got a ton of homework to do though on all that would be involved.
blackdogbbq21 is offline   Reply With Quote