Yucatan Cochinita Pibil

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I got the inspiration for this from a friend, whose handle is jrow, on another site. I had just seen a YouTube video on Yucatan cooking where they buried a pig in the ground which was called Cochinita Pibil. Then my friend jrow just happened to make some a few days later. That did it for me and I just had to try it. (I apologize for the length of this post)

Here are the ingredients for the marinade and the pickled onion:

Here is an 8.5 lb. pork shoulder

I trimmed most of the fat cap off and then scored it just like jrow did.

I mixed up the ingredients for the marinate and poured it over the pork on one side and then the other.

I covered it with foil and let it rest in the fridge overnight. In the morning I started prepping the banana leaves to get them more pliable by heating them up in the oven.

I place 2 sheets of wide aluminum foil in opposite directions.

On top of this I place 2 sheets of parchment paper in the opposite directions of the foil.

And now I place on some banana leaves. I overlap all the joints by a good 3 to 4 inches and alternate the direction of the leaves to try and minimize leakage.

Now I can wrap up the pork shoulder in the banana leaves and try with butcher’s twine. (Note: This is much harder than you’d think. Try to have someone there to help try the knots in the twine.)

Then parchment paper and finally the aluminum foil. (Wow! I could work in the shipping department. :lol:)

OK I now light start up the kamado with a full load of lump and set it up for indirect cooking.

Once it gets up to 325 I put on the Cochinita Pibil package. Let it get up to 350.

I going to check it in 4 1/2 hours to see how things are going. In the meantime I make up some of Lardog’s Roasted Tomatillo Pasilla Salsa. (Link: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/3951-chorizo-tacos-with-tomatillo-pasilla-salsa/?hl=chorizo) Ingredients:

Re-hydrating the Pasilla peppers.

Since my Primo in occupied I used my Weber to grill the veggies.

Everyone into the pool and blended. Oh yeah!

While I’m waiting I made up some Pickled Red Onion and some fresh tortillas.

Was able to relax a little and then checked the I.T. of the meat.

Yes! Now I carefully unwrap my package.

And transfer it to an aluminum pan.

And continue unwrapping. OH IT’S JUST LIKE CHRISTMAS!

Fish out all the banana leaves

And the bone

And pull the meat. It was literally so tender that I could’ve just stirred it with a spoon and it would’ve fallen apart.

And now for the moment of truth! Here it is plated in some tacos with some Tostones appetizers, radishes and guacamole and chips. (Tostones cook can be found here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207940)

And here is the money shot below.

Off the charts goodness! :becky:

Awesome.
Looks like a feed for a jing
Did you preheat the leaves to make them Flexible/?

Oops, just reread, you preheated in the oven:doh:

Last edited:
Holy carp Batman, that's some SERIOUS goodness!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I didn't want this to end. Beautiful

That is awesome. That aciote (annatto seed) paste is great stuff to work with. While you were shredding, did you have as much trouble as I did, when I made it, making sure to save some for the tacos instead of stuffing it in your face?:becky:

Awesome.
Looks like a feed for a jing
Did you preheat the leaves to make them Flexible/?

Oops, just reread, you preheated in the oven:doh:
Thank you Aussie. I should have left them in there longer as you can see they weren't a flexible as they should've been.

Now a question for you. What is a jing? :laugh:

Back