Adjusting To The Meat Prices

ssv3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Beef and especially pork prices are through the roof but the show must go on. :becky:

Look what I found for $1.99/lb. Labeled as brisket bone they are rib tips. STL spares were near $5/lb in comparison :twitch:

FkdfpoPh.jpg

Trimmed up and on the smoker taking on some good color

2iY1HEFh.jpg

Found these also and first thing came to mind was jambalaya

F3vq9CAh.jpg

Browned up sausage first

JzaZEWEh.jpg

Chicken thighs next

iOF4Ljoh.jpg

Cajun trinity (yea I know red bell pepper) then the rice and the liquids

vA5Kjvzh.jpg

Shrimp was put in the last 5 or so mins

Ye40oiGh.jpg

Smelling amazing

RG0SamDh.jpg

Looking amazing

j48A0azh.jpg

Plenty of moisture

cXPlHY1h.jpg

Some jambalaya on the side and I was golden

oTvMtTPh.jpg

I'm sticking to rib tips for a while. Thanks for looking!

Excellent cook

I've been in several different stores recently that sell brisket and bins are full.

It is odd here in central Texas, Beef prices have skyrocketed, but pork and poultry has barely moved up. My local HEB is selling whole spare ribs for $1.94/lb (normal price). Before this recent jump in pricing, they were $1.79/lb. So that's not too bad. The St Louis ribs have shot up more though. The beef pricing on popular cuts like ribeye and new york stips has gone up tremendously. What used to be around $9/lb for a select strip steak is now up around $12/lb, and Ribeyes have jumped up far more. Select Ribeyes are now around $16/lb, which is crazy for select. For Prime Ribeye, it's around $21/lb. Poultry really hasn't moved up much at all. They still sell the 10lb bags of leg quarters for well under $5 in several different stores.

I've enjoyed those rib tips many times over the years. Yours look fantastic!

Pork hadn't moved much here either compared to beef until the last couple weeks. Now Sam's wants $4/lb for untrimmed spares. Yikes.

Looks like you've made the best of the situation :thumb: looks great

Last edited:
Nice grub! Stephanie has been wanting to make jambalaya for a while, now I have inspiration

Yessir on all that! I've gotten into making jambalaya over the past couple years and love it. And rib tips - they're just fun to eat. I feel like a dawg gnawing on a bone.
Great plate as always, Sako! :clap2:

Nice! I really wanted to cook a brisket this weekend but couldn't bring myself to pay $4.99 a pound for Costco prime.

Local store had butts for $.77 / lb and whole spares for $.99 / pound.... Topped off the freezer and would have bought more.

Sorry to hear about those silly prices but, that cook is a good cure. Your jambalaya looks amazing. One of my favorites yet I have never made it as I would probably be the only one who eats it.

Massive score Sako!

You did those justice too!

Cheers!

Bill

Something's really screwed up when I can find brisket cheaper than a pork shoulder per pound here in MN.

A brethren is resourceful and will usually find a way to get what they need, and you certainly did. Awesome looking plate, and jambalaya sounds so good!

You nailed it on all accounts neighbor!

Tips are just fun and who does not like Jambalaya? You did it right!

Back