MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #1
leosmith78
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Leo
Default Stuffed Whole Hog

Brethren,

I'm doing a 40lb hog soon. I'm cooking it like I've had it in the Philippines. They stuff the cavity with lemongrass. It keeps the loins and ribbies from drying out. I just moved to GA and I'm not sure I can get lemongrass in my immediate area. Does anybody have any ideas as to what else I could use if I can't find lemongrass? First thought is use foil, but that doesn't impart much flavor.

TIA
leosmith78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #2
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't know the answer but I'm interested in your results

Old 05-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
Joshw
Babbling Farker

I would do a google search for Asian markets, Or even places like whole foods, or sprouts will probably have the lemon grass. Kaffir lime leaves is the typical substitute, but if you can't find lemon grass, probably won't find them either. I would say just halved lemons would be your best bet.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-03-2019, 10:11 PM   #4
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Stuff it with cabbage.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-03-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
Capt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cole

I have seen lemongrass around but that’s a lot of grass!
Capt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2019, 02:11 AM   #6
leosmith78
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westx View Post
Stuff it with cabbage.
LOL, well that would align to my Polish ancestry!

Old 05-04-2019, 02:14 AM   #7
leosmith78
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
I would do a google search for Asian markets, Or even places like whole foods, or sprouts will probably have the lemon grass. Kaffir lime leaves is the typical substitute, but if you can't find lemon grass, probably won't find them either. I would say just halved lemons would be your best bet.
Yeah, we have a few small Asian markets here and we intend to visit them tomorrow and see if they have or can get the lemongrass. Lemons...good idea. I may have to give it a try...I'll keep yinz posted.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:56 AM   #8
Lawnguy
Babbling Farker

H-Mart
Lawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2019, 04:57 AM   #9
Jason TQ

Ya definitely check those asian markets. We have a bunch around us in gwinnett and love shopping produce there as they selection is amazing and prices are better than regular grocery stores.

And while this is completely opposite of lemon grass I know people will stuff sausage in the cavity to keep things moist and you can eat that sausage too later.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:22 AM   #10
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Probably too late now, but it never hurts to talk with the produce manager at your local favorite store and request a special order.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2019, 06:03 AM   #11
leosmith78
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoen View Post
Probably too late now, but it never hurts to talk with the produce manager at your local favorite store and request a special order.
That's a great idea! I have some time...I don't plan on doing this until the 12th so maybe I'll be able to special order some.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2019, 06:12 AM   #12
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

While I think it's cool to replicate what you have experienced in the Philippines, and I do believe you should go ahead and use the technique, I do not believe that lemongrass helps keep their hogs moist. Cooking it properly will keep it from drying out. Having been around ALOT of whole hogs in my life, I can attest that moisture is a product of the cook. In Filipino cooking, the lemongrass is for imparting a fragrance in their lechon.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #13
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Garlic paste olive oil bruised spring onions and lemongrass
If like here lemongrass is expensive i would add more spring onion.
The pork served by my stepmother has no stuffing but they are small

Out of interest i grew lemon grass in my hot house, took 2 years to dig ig out,what a weed.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:39 AM   #14
leosmith78
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
While I think it's cool to replicate what you have experienced in the Philippines, and I do believe you should go ahead and use the technique, I do not believe that lemongrass helps keep their hogs moist. Cooking it properly will keep it from drying out. Having been around ALOT of whole hogs in my life, I can attest that moisture is a product of the cook. In Filipino cooking, the lemongrass is for imparting a fragrance in their lechon.
I've cooked many whole hogs too, but mostly butterflied and it is mostly the product of the cook. I've also been to many pig roasts in the Philippines as my wife is a Filipina. Yes, the lemon grass imparts fragrance but it acts as a barrier to the heat because they roast the hog on a spit close to the coals. In my case, I will smoke the pig at 250 degrees. I will say that my wanting the lemongrass is mostly to replicate the flavor notes to a certain extent, but it can't hurt in helping to retain some moisture.