FAB Storage

DeanC

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anybody happen to know the shelf life of this stuff? I wanted to buy some in bulk but didn't know how long it would last. I was thinking about vacuum sealing it and tossing it in the freezer. Thanks.

That will help Dean.
My next batch I am going to portion out, vac-u-suck, and probably not freeze. Although that might be OK also.
It will pick up moisture if left unsealed :twisted:
Don't ask me how I know that :redface:

TIM

I just re-closed mine with the bread tie and kept in the cabinet all season. I'll probably be more cautious with it next season.

Jeff_in_KC said:
I just re-closed mine with the bread tie and kept in the cabinet all season. I'll probably be more cautious with it next season.

Next season?? You gonna use that stuff again next season too? WooHOO!! I'm still gonna win, I'm still gonna win!! :biggrin: :tongue: :twisted:

Solidkick said:
Next season?? You gonna use that stuff again next season too? WooHOO!! I'm still gonna win, I'm still gonna win!! :biggrin: :tongue: :twisted:

You'd still win regardless, Gary! But don't get TOO excited... we aren't doing the BC Fair this coming season. :wink:

Actually, it would be cheaper to mix brown gravy mix, beef broth and a chitload of MSG in a bowl and call it FAB B!

Jeff_in_KC said:
Actually, it would be cheaper to mix brown gravy mix, beef broth and a chitload of MSG in a bowl and call it FAB B!

Not really. A lot more in FAB than that.
But, the stuff you mentioned would probably make a good injection :lol:

TIM

FAB??? What is that stuff?
And, if ya got good meat, a good rub and a decent smoker, why would ya use that stuff?
Just me asking stupid questions.
Smoke On!!!!!!

kickassbbq said:
And, if ya got good meat, a good rub and a decent smoker, why would ya use that stuff?
Smoke On!!!!!!

ED--try a search.
The pros and cons have been beat to death here.
Personal preference to use or not.

The question is about storage.

TIM

kickassbbq said:
Smoke On!!!!!!

In addition to the answer you got from The_Kapn I'll add the fact that the owner is good people. For those that haven't checked it out take a look at http://theingredientstore.com/ . If you don't want any of the Fab products there is plenty of other stuff of interest.

DeanC said:
Anybody happen to know the shelf life of this stuff? I wanted to buy some in bulk but didn't know how long it would last. I was thinking about vacuum sealing it and tossing it in the freezer. Thanks.

It has peanut oil in it so it can go rancid. I store FAB in my garage beer/brisket fridge.

ique said:
It has peanut oil in it so it can go rancid. I store FAB in my garage beer/brisket fridge.

Chris,
Am I missing something?

From the website:
FAB B Contains: Hydrolyzed soy protein, vegetable oil (soybean and or corn, cottonseed), sodium phosphates, mono sodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum.

As to storage, I have never had any problem with rancid.
Just with it turning into a wet mush if not sealed back up properly.
Sucks up moisture.

On Edit--I found the reference to Peanut Oil down with FAB P and C.:redface:
P has never gone bad on me (never stays around long).:lol:
I do not use FAB C.

FAB C Contains: Hydrolyzed soy protein, partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and peanut oils, sodium phosphates, mono sodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum.

FAB P Contains: Hydrolyzed soy protein, partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and peanut oils, sodium phosphates, mono sodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, disodium inosinate and guanylate, xanthan gum.

Thanks,

TIM

The_Kapn said:
Chris,
Am I missing something?

FAB P Contains: cottonseed and peanut oils

TIM

Yeah, I spoke to Joe Ames and he suggested the fridge. Shouldnt be a problem now, but a hot trailer or garage over the summer may not be a good idea. Otherwise it should last just as long as any other rub or seasoning... after awhile it will get stale and lose some of the flavor.

Sorry. I was just being stupid as usual.

I guess that vacuum sealing it and putting it in the freezer would amount to nearly the same thing as putting it in the refrigerator. Thanks for the comments.

Jeff_in_KC said:
You'd still win regardless, Gary! :wink:

I take that as the ultimate compliment! :grin: But I've learned it all here!:eusa_clap

Bellys aren't playing music as much this year, so you may see more of us....

BOT.....I think the vac-u-suc and freezing or refridgerating sound like a great idea!

Jeff_in_KC said:
You'd still win regardless, Gary! But don't get TOO excited... we aren't doing the BC Fair this coming season. :wink:

Don't be telling my secrets man!!!

Last week, I found two unopened containers from mid August (stored in a cool, dry place).I e-mailed Joe and Bob Ames asking them the very same question.

Similar to what Chris said.....They thought it would still be OK if right now since it was not opened but may lose some potency. He did not mention the fridge to me since my batch had been sitting around a while. As I expected, they did not seem committ to a specific time period but I got the impression to use it sooner than later after receiving it.

I wasn't planning on cooking with it, so I threw it out.

Since it's not cheap, I think it makes sense to buy as needed and use any remaining balance as quickly as possible.

I would never use the stuff, but if you choose to. I would be careful about freezing it for long periods, especially in a deep freeze. It could actually break down the oils.

kickassbbq said:
Sorry. I was just being stupid as usual.

Na, in my eyes you had a valid point, but threadwise you were 'off point' :lol:

I'm now going back under my rock to soak some beans for tomorrows 'beanathon'

Back