Is Brisket OK to smoke with cut between point and flat?

zachg18

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just got a brisket and the butcher started cutting between the point and the flat before I could tell him to stop.

He said customers usually ask him to trim for them.

I probably should have asked for a new one but I felt bad and didn't want him to waste it.

Can I still smoke as one piece even with this cut here? Or will it complicate things somehow?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 180
I've done my fair share of brisket, but I am by no means an expert. That being said, and somebody else may say otherwise, but I personally wouldn't sweat it. Smoke it up!

I've done my fair share of brisket, but I am by no means an expert. That being said, and somebody else may say otherwise, but I personally wouldn't sweat it. Smoke it up!

Yeah im thinking I may just have to do fat cap side up? That way juices don't build up in that crease...

I'm trying that on my next brisket........

I usually smoke them whole, fat side up with a chit load of salt and coarse ground black pepper on it. I have read that a lot of guys will separate the point and the flat to get a more uniform thickness to both for an easier cook.

Haven't tried it myself.......but that is what the big kids tell me............

Have sent people trim fat from between the point and flat. Don't see why the cut in yours would be a problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Actually, I'll trim there and expose the point so it renders more....so I don't see that as a problem for you!

I cut most of the fat out between the point and flat but do not separate. More area to rub and keeps the thinner sections moist. So, there is not problem with your cut from my experience.

It will be fine, I've had them come out of the cryo with a gash in them I didn't see and they turned out good. I just would try and keep rub out of the crease if I was cooking it since it probably won't get bark in the crease.

alot of comp cooks separate. you'll be fine. if juices/fat pool up just tip the brisket (this is already a common practice to remove pooling fat from the flat)

I separated my first brisket this past weekend, thinking I'd make burnt ends out of the point. I think it probably complicated the process a bit more than I needed. (Will make some corrections in my next effort...)

I think the best thing about separating the two pieces was grinding up the trimmings and doing brisket burgers last night. Talk about tasty burgers!

Look good. A lot of times I'll start the separation of point and flat to get more rub on the point without fully separating.

Sometimes more, sometimes less.
SmartSelect_20210116-094652_Photos.jpgSmartSelect_20210116-094346_Photos.jpgSmartSelect_20210116-094243_Photos.jpg

Like a lot of the other Brethren mentioned, I too trim between the flat and point. I like to get more rub into the area and to take that thick brick of fat out. I have actually cut the point almost all the way off of the flat. I smoke it like it is still attached and then when I get set for burnt ends I just have a little bit of meat to cut in order to separate the point from the flat. For me it makes it a bit easier at that point in the cook.

Heck, this sport of meat smoking is pretty forgiving (I call it a sport because I get a lot of cardio done going from the frig for beer to the smoker. Then the frig, beer, smoker. I keep it moving...). There are not to many rules. No problem coloring outside the lines.

Cheers

Yaker

Yeah, getting ready to do a brisket tonight.
IMG-0043.jpg

That is the front side, I will remove the cap off the point on the back side too.
IMG-0044.jpg

I always separate the point from the flat. I did it today, it's going on tonight. It's much easier to cook when pieces are fairly even in thickness. Yes, you can insist on 'traditional' methods, but the end product is more important to me than the method.

I've never separated them, but many times I wish I had in hindsight, due to >1" of fat between the cuts on Costco briskets

Back