Pinto beans discovery

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
When cleaning out the cupboard, I discovered a bag of pinto beans.
Seems I ordered them a year ago but I have NO idea what to use them for.
I know I can use them in a chili (or maybe not :shocked::evil:).
Must have bought them because they were in a recipe I liked but I can´t remember what recipe.

So, any recommendations to use pinto beans, other than chili?

I love pinto's. I just put them in large bowl, look through them for any pebbles, like any other dried legume, cover with water and let soak. You can soak them overnight, but I find four hours plenty, I change the water a couple of times which helps tremendously with the flatulence issue.

Once the beans are soaking, in a large pot cover with water a couple of smoked ham hocks or anything roughly similar, add an onion and a head of garlic and a couple of bay leaves. I don't bother to peal the onion or garlic, just cut them in half. Simmer covered for three hours or more.

Strain your stock into another pot, keep the hocks for shredding a bit later. Put the stock back on the burner and add the drained bowl of beans and simmer. At this point I add a healthy tablespoon or three of good chili powder and another tablespoon or two of ground cumin. Simmer covered until the beans are tender, add back in the shredded hocks and any other smoked (or not) cooked meats you have stashed away. Now salt to taste.

Serve in a bowl, diced raw onions optional. Cornbread or biscuits won't hurt the effort either.

Since I am from Kentucky I am a big fan of pinto beans slow cooked with a ham hock.
Do a cast iron fried cornbread with it as well.
crumble the corn bread up pour the pinto beans on top and add some raw diced onions and hot sauce.
Maybe a side of thick cut pork chop.

I’m a big fan of refried beans. I do mine in the pressure cooker with chicken stock. When done cooking, transfer just the beans (but save the cooking liquid) to a cast iron skillet with melted butter. Mash the beans with any kind of masher (I use a flat bottomed glass) until just about smooth. Add back in some cooking liquid until they’re the consistency you want. Save the extra cooking liquid for reheating leftovers as they will dry out in the fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sauté garlic and onions in s skillet. Add pinto beans. Serve with pulled pork and your favorite vinegar sauce.

Like Bruce said, cleaning them (sorting by hand) is key. I can't tell you how many small rocks I've found in bags over the years. Some brands are better than others so YMMV.

You can do a slow soak in the fridge if you change the water a few times. I prefer smaller white (navy) beans with ham, but that's me. Pinto will work too.

CfVlKZN.jpg

Here is how I cook pintos....

Pinto Beans ~thirdeye~ Style
3 cups washed Pinto beans
3 or 4 twice smoked ham hocks (or shanks) (or few strips bacon) (or 1/3 lb salt pork)
1 onion, chopped and sweated.
2 green onions with tops, chopped and sweated
2 split and seeded jalapenos (or serrano peppers), chopped
2 or 3 mild green chilis like Anaheim or Big Jim, roasted, skinned then chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, roasted and mashed into paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 T. dry mustard
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. chili powder “Top Hat” is my favorite
1 can extra Hot Rotel Tomatoes (optional)
1 or 2 t Summer Savory
1 t Epazote
black pepper to taste
salt to taste
Sriracha “hot” chili sauce served at the table.

Cover beans with water and soak overnight. For this years crop, soak about 3 or 4 hours only.

Drain the water off of the beans, put in large pot and cover with fresh water by at least 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Add the ham hocks, onions, garlic, peppers, bay leaf, mustard, Summer Savory, epazote, black pepper and chili powder. The beans can cook on the stovetop or be moved to the cooker, with the lid on but ajar. Add more water anytime during the cook as needed. Lastly, add the Worcestershire and tomatoes and cook for about 30 minutes more. Remove the hocks and pick the meat off of the bone, return to beans. Salt to taste at the end to avoid making the skin on the beans tough.

To reduce heat, use regular canned tomatoes and/or omit the serranos.

For smoky beans, move the Dutch oven into your cooker and remove the cover for the final hour or two, keeping your eye on the liquid level, adding water as needed. (The twice smoked hocks will give the beans a small amount of smoke flavor without extra smoke from the cooker.)

Since I am from Kentucky I am a big fan of pinto beans slow cooked with a ham hock.
crumble the corn bread up pour the pinto beans on top and add some raw diced onions and hot sauce.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the way in southern OK also. No exceptions. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bigwheel’s World Famous Top Secret Prize-Winnin' Pintos

2 lbs. washed pintos
1/3 lb. salt pork..or few strips bacon..or pork hock
1 onion
2 split and seeded japs or serrano peppers
3-4 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
1 Tbsp. wooster sauce
3 Tbsp. chili powder (Try mix and match Ancho, Gebhardts, Chimayo, etc)
1 can extra Hot Rotel Tomatoes with Habs
salt and pepper to taste

Cover beans with 2" of water and soak 1 hr. Drain and refill to same level. Add the salt pork and bring to a rapid boil. Reduce heat and put on the lid. Simmer till nearly done but not quite then add the other stuff and cook another 20-30 mins. Once you add the tomatoes they dont tender up any more. Add water anywhere along the way if they get too dry. Veggies can be chopped..purreed or floated depending if your comp cooking or eating at home. If you feeding wimmen, chillin, or yankees you can use only half a can of the maters. If you want them smokey, stick them in the smoke in the coolest part of the pit with the lid off for at least a coupla hours.

Don't forget the cornbread and hot sauce of your choice.

Charro beans! Or borracho beans, basically the same thing, but cooked in beer.

I've made Tim Love's recipe a few times and was pleased with the results. https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/charro-beans

Rick Bayless also has a good recipe. https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/cowboy-beans/

My first thought! Here's another great recipe from Tony and Maribel (aka tonybel):

https://tonyandmaribel.com/2016/07/18/blog-post-title-2/

I make these pretty often and they are fanfarkingtastic.

BEANS BEANS BEANS :grin: We love pinto beans at my house. Of course I grew up in south Texas and we had them at minimum 2 times a week in one way or another.
BUT since this is the BBQ forum may I suggest trying this recipe from a fellow Homesick Texan, Lisa Fain. this is a copycat of Aaron Franklin's beans.

My Wife asks for these beans often and even my 2 year old loves them. I double or triple the cumin.

However older pinto beans take much longer to cook so just be mindful and give them plenty of time or they will tend to stay hard.

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2015/...s and remove,age of the beans. ... More items...

We ate a lot of beans growing up. Lots. 4 kids one income Dad worked shift while attending college in Talequah OK. Beans and hamburger. Garden veggies. A trip to the store was pretty simple. Bread butter flour sugar Fritos. Out of hamburger?
Any meal you make with hamburger you can make with beans. You’re only limited by your imagination. MSU:-D

Last edited:
Back