MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 01-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #16
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Man I love cooking and eating pazole.
I'm real interested in your recipe/process.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #17
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

^^^^^^^ would love to see a cook thread on this Also interested in a recipe
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-03-2021, 12:39 AM   #18
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I never thought to do a cook thread on it. I didn't take any cook pics, but now I'm kicking myself. Oh well, since I only make this once a year, I'll do one next year. I don't really use a recipe, per se. It's all arbitrary based on what I have and how much I'm making but can give you guys a basic play-by-play.

So for the green pozole, I use either pork or chicken. The last few years I've switched to chicken because it doesn't sit has heavy and isn't nearly as greasy as pork shoulder. I find the flavor of chicken to be a little "cleaner." Standing around and skimming pork fat off the top isn't a glamorous job. I've boiled and roasted and prefer cooking the chicken on the rotisserie (charcoal but no smoke wood) and then adding it in at the end.

I boil the bones for stock the night before (but you can use chicken base too if you don't have enough bones or time for that step). For the green, I use the following:
White onion
Green onion
Jalapenos (fresh-seeded)
Tomatillos
Poblanos (seeded)
Garlic
Green Bells (seeded)
Cilantro

I puree them raw, very smooth with water or stock in the blender. Then add pitchers of what I pureed to the pot. Once all the veggies are pureed and added, get it boiling. The color will start out bright green but will transform into a darker, olive green.

I add salt and start skimming fat/puree that rises to the top. I drain/rinse the hominy in a colander and save the can (to discard the fat/thicker veg that rises to the top). Later I add the hominy. Again...this year I only did one large can, but have done as many as three. A good rule of thumb is 1 big can per 1-1.5 gallons of liquid volume. I let the hominy cook for a little bit, then add the meat in at the very end.

The goal is to make it flavorful, but somewhat neutral. Some people like it saltier, some like it hotter. In my picture you'll see some fire roasted hot green salsa in one of the little bowls. I tuned up my bowl with a spoonful of that. The "fixins" are just as important. Cilantro, green onion, finely shredded cabbage (some people like shredded iceberg lettuce), limes, avocado, green hot sauce/salsa of some kind, and Mexican Oregano/Menudo Mix. I call an audible sometimes. Forgot radishes and the avocados weren't cutting it...so I used a chunky guac from Costco instead. Grind up a pinch of the oregano in your hand or between your fingers and add it to your bowl just before eating.

Add good tortilla chips and a Modelo or Mimosa and you're all set.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-03-2021, 09:56 PM   #19
Aggie12
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Aggie
Default Beef Oscar

Please accept this as my entry.

Beef Oscar for Christmas Eve. Bought a whole beef tenderloin on sale a few months back for a good price. Butchered it up into filets. Seasoned with Killer Hogs A.P. and Steak rubs. Topped with asparagus, lump crap, and a homemade bearnaise sauce that unfortunately broke right at the last minute . Hope that doesn’t hurt me too bad in how it looks, as it still tasted divine.

Fun fact, when preparing the leftovers they day after Christmas I learned that you can fix the sauce really easily by putting 1 egg yolk in a separate bowl, and then very slowly adding the broken sauce to the fresh egg yolk while stirring. It was even better with the sauce fixed, as the flavors incorporated with each other better.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:12 PM   #20
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Here is my submission for the "Holiday Feasts" throwdown - porterhouse steak, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus, and some Macallan 12 scotch.

The cook post

Submission pic:

Happy holidays
Old 01-04-2021, 08:57 AM   #21
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

I would like to enter the TD
Cook Thread - https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=288711
Please use the below pic for my entry

Sorry for the late post as I took some needed time off with my family.
Here is our Christmas Prime Rib.
I ended up doing 11 total for customers but unfortunately I got stuck with 1 as the person did not show up to pick up or pay either.

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #22
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Guys, there are multiple pictures in this thread that do not say anything about being an entry. You have from now till noon to change that. Please quote your original post and say "This is an entry" if you would like your picture added to the poll. Thank you

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #23
a7las
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : A7las
Default Smoked Beef Rib Tamales

Every year for Christmas Eve we order tamales, this year we had homemade tamales. We had traditional pork, chicken, and tried smoked beef rib for the third variant. Topped it with some tomatillo salsa I made. Paired with a smoked cinnamon old fashioned twas a good night. The First pic is my entry for the throwdown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20201225_025701419.PORTRAIT_2.jpg (76.0 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20201224_003931326.PORTRAIT.jpg (84.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20201221_024656362.PORTRAIT.jpg (122.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #24
a7las
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : A7las
Default Smoked Prime Rib

For New Years Day with the family, I did a smoked Prime Rib then Seared on the Webber. This is my 2nd entry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210101_221149390.PORTRAIT_2.jpg (79.7 KB, 176 views)
Old 01-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #25
Aggie12
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Aggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7las View Post
For New Years Day with the family, I did a smoked Prime Rib then Seared on the Webber. This is my 2nd entry.
Is to too late to withdraw my submission?!