MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #1
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Meat Grinder Size

I am getting back into sausage making and already have a 10# sausage stuffer but sold my LEM #12 grinder when I was thinking I was going to be moving.

I am not sure I need the #12, but also do not want to go with the #8 and wish I had the power of the #12. For sausage making, what size would you recommend?
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Pa_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2020, 10:55 PM   #2
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

I,m glad I have my bigger one, same mix leftover, same washing up.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
I,m glad I have my bigger one, same mix leftover, same washing up.
You have a good point.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Pa_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I see that Waltons Inc is having a sale on their in house grinder. I have not used one, but it looks like they combined the positives of many others and made their own.

I currently have the Cabela's Carnivore #12 and would not go any smaller. I like the wider throat on the #12, so the food prep is less. Mine works well on pork and beef, but I have to semi freeze chicken to get a good grind. Seems to hang up in the auger too long. I like the idea of the "big Bite" of LEM, which I think in reading the specs, Walton's adapted. I am thinking about stepping up to the #22, but I am not grinding enough to justify the purchase right now. But the want is there. lol

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
JohnH12
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys4dlr View Post
I see that Waltons Inc is having a sale on their in house grinder. I have not used one, but it looks like they combined the positives of many others and made their own.

I currently have the Cabela's Carnivore #12 and would not go any smaller. I like the wider throat on the #12, so the food prep is less. Mine works well on pork and beef, but I have to semi freeze chicken to get a good grind. Seems to hang up in the auger too long. I like the idea of the "big Bite" of LEM, which I think in reading the specs, Walton's adapted. I am thinking about stepping up to the #22, but I am not grinding enough to justify the purchase right now. But the want is there. lol
I would rather have the power and not need it rather than the other way.
I have no need for the Cabela's Carnivore #32 that I bought but "want" overrides "need" in my book.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
I would rather have the power and not need it rather than the other way.
I have no need for the Cabela's Carnivore #32 that I bought but "want" overrides "need" in my book.
Trust me, I live by the moto of forgiveness over permission, that is how I have 14 different cookers in the back yard. The wife just shakes her head. lol

With regards to the grinder, weight has to come into play. How much does the #32 weigh, cause moving my #12 from the garage to the kitchen counter is bulky to say the least. But when I see a #32 in action, the want pops up again.

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
JohnH12
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys4dlr View Post
Trust me, I live by the moto of forgiveness over permission, that is how I have 14 different cookers in the back yard. The wife just shakes her head. lol

With regards to the grinder, weight has to come into play. How much does the #32 weigh, cause moving my #12 from the garage to the kitchen counter is bulky to say the least. But when I see a #32 in action, the want pops up again.
The #32 is a heavy beast. I bought a used buffet off Craigslist and it sits on there. The buffet also has plenty of drawers and compartments to store all my stuff.
In your case.... Why not just do the grinding in the garage? The Carnivore came with a collar that you freeze so overheating the meat isn't a problem. In fact I put the whole grinder section in the freezer the night before so everything is cold.