Looking for a good "beef" sauce

jbelson

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I'm trying to get a good sauce for beef, brisket mainly. What I mean by that is something that would go well with a texas style brisket. I know that if it's done right, it shouldn't need it. But I'm looking for that palate.
Not something tomato-y or kansas city style really, but something beefy.

There is a restaurant in L.A., Dr. hogly woggly's tyler texas BBQ, that has this great, beefy, peppery sauce that goes so great with brisket. It's a thin sauce, not thick.

Wondering if anyone has any thing like that they'd be willing to share. Doesn't have to specifically for brisket, just figured that was the flavor profile that would be easiest to compare it to.

Thanks.

How about an au jus? What flavor profile besides beefy are you looking for? I would suggest as a test, try a Knorr beef homestyle stock cup with 1 cup of hot/simmering water. Its going to be salty, but it will still be thin enough that not much adheres so dunking a slice of brisket will give the brisket so extra juice (if dry) and also a boost in beefy flavor. Like i said, as a test, its quick and cheap, and if you like this type of au jus sauce, you can take it a step further and make your own beef stock using beef neck bones.

McCormick's Au Jus Gravy mix.Add the pepper you want and you can add a little flour or cornstarch if you want it thicker.Johnny's French Dip or Au Jus is good too.Kroger carries them both.Super easy and Tastee too.

I'm in agreement with this for brisket. You want something to complement the brisket, not overwhelm it.

You can make your own au jus from the drippings.

Reason i mentioned the knorr homestyle stock little cups, is they are meant to be added to 3 1/2 cups of water, which does make a decent beef broth. But i reduce the water to 1 cup and its a strong au jus that works great for "Hot beef Sammiches" So you can't go wrong with this approach to brisket.

Side note, if its a bit too thin, i bet a few tbsp of tomato paste will do wonders.

Reason i mentioned the knorr homestyle stock little cups, is they are meant to be added to 3 1/2 cups of water, which does make a decent beef broth. But i reduce the water to 1 cup and its a strong au jus that works great for "Hot beef Sammiches" So you can't go wrong with this approach to brisket.

Side note, if its a bit too thin, i bet a few tbsp of tomato paste will do wonders.

Nothing wrong with that at all. :-D

Just more ideas for the OP.

Google "Madagascar sauce", your welcome :grin:

Which is the good version? I saw at least six different recipes and every one of them is different. :noidea:

Only thing in common is green peppercorns and a varying amount of some type of cream.

Which is the good version? I saw at least six different recipes and every one of them is different. :noidea:

Only thing in common is green peppercorns and a varying amount of some type of cream.

Sounds like au Poivre sauce with green peppercorns, instead of black. I would say they are all pretty good. If you see one with Congac, go with it.

I make a beef stock using brisket trimmings. I brown up the meat in a stock pot and then add a few chopped onions, carrots, stalks of celery, and some bay leaves. I let that all cook (medium heat) for about 20 minutes, and then add in a couple of quarts of water. I'll let that simmer for a few hours and then strain it into a jug.

I'll take that beef stock and add the au jus from the brisket, about 50/50 by volume, and reduce it over medium heat until it gets a bit thicker. You can reduce it as much as you desire but be careful not to allow it to become too syrupy and burn. This makes an AMAZING brisket "dip" that can act like a sauce.

I hope this helps and it is certainly worth the effort. I'm running a small food truck (trailer) and doing a lunch service and people are ranting and raving about my brisket. This is the method I'm using for it and everyday when I taste it before I serve I almost crumble at the knees because of how good it is. :-D

Yes, this is the answer:

I make a beef stock using brisket trimmings. I brown up the meat in a stock pot and then add a few chopped onions, carrots, stalks of celery, and some bay leaves. I let that all cook (medium heat) for about 20 minutes, and then add in a couple of quarts of water. I'll let that simmer for a few hours and then strain it into a jug.

I'll take that beef stock and add the au jus from the brisket, about 50/50 by volume, and reduce it over medium heat until it gets a bit thicker. You can reduce it as much as you desire but be careful not to allow it to become too syrupy and burn. This makes an AMAZING brisket "dip" that can act like a sauce.

I hope this helps and it is certainly worth the effort. I'm running a small food truck (trailer) and doing a lunch service and people are ranting and raving about my brisket. This is the method I'm using for it and everyday when I taste it before I serve I almost crumble at the knees because of how good it is. :-D

After all, you are doing a brisket. You have the time. Use some red wine to deglaze and replace some of the water. How about some balsamic vinegar too for that extra hit!

Back